Does PADI permit sidemount (PSAI card) in PADI classes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aotus

Contributor
Reaction score
I paid for a package of PADI classes at my local dive shop in spring. I have now moved away from all things PADI, but have a credit for a couple more classes. I'm thinking now, they couldn't hurt, and at least it means I get some boat dives in without paying (more) for them.

My issue is, that I've now learned side mount, and never want to go back. Will a PADI instructor permit me to dive the class in this configuration??

I have a PSAI overhead side mount card, and all my gear is SM. I don't ever want to use their crappy rental back mount gear again, so if there is a rule against it, then I guess I'm just going to lose the investment. The instructor is away until next week, and I need to decide if I'm taking the class or committing to dive elsewhere, so I'm hoping someone can tell me if PADI has rules about this sort of thing.

Thanks.

Padi has gear requirement standard, not configuration standards. As long as you have the required gear for the course you should be good to go. You might get some resistance if you have instructors who don't know your configuration and make up some bs.

cut and paste from IM

Make sure divers have, at a minimum:
1. Fins, mask and snorkel
2. Compressed gas cylinder and valve*
3. Buoyancy control device (BCD) with tank mount or separate backpack, and low pressure inflator*
4. Primary regulator and alternate air source*
* Exception: Using a registered rebreather is acceptable if course performance requirements can be met. Do not use rebreathers during PADI Discover Scuba Diving programs, PADI Scuba Diver, Open Water Diver or Instructor D

5. Breathing gas monitoring device (e.g. submersible pressure gauge)
6. Depth monitoring device
7. Quick release weight system and weights (if necessary for neutral buoyancy, or if required for skills practice)
8. Adequate exposure protection appropriate for local dive conditions.
Note: The dry suit orientation requirement in this guide.
9. At least one audible emergency surface signaling device (whistle, air horn, etc.).
10. Dive computer or RDP (eRDPML or Table)
Familiarize divers with the equipment they use in the course.
Standard Instructor and Certified Assistant Equipment
Have all standard diver equipment plus:
1. Time monitoring device
2. Compass
3. Knife/diver’s tool
Exception: Where prohibited locally.
4. Two surface signaling devices – one audible (whistle, air horn, etc.) and one visible (inflatable surface tube, flare, signal mirror, etc.).
5. Dive flag – where required locally
6. Instructions for use for dive co

I paid for a package of PADI classes at my local dive shop in spring. I have now moved away from all things PADI, but have a credit for a couple more classes. I'm thinking now, they couldn't hurt, and at least it means I get some boat dives in without paying (more) for them.

My issue is, that I've now learned side mount, and never want to go back. Will a PADI instructor permit me to dive the class in this configuration??

I have a PSAI overhead side mount card, and all my gear is SM. I don't ever want to use their crappy rental back mount gear again, so if there is a rule against it, then I guess I'm just going to lose the investment. The instructor is away until next week, and I need to decide if I'm taking the class or committing to dive elsewhere, so I'm hoping someone can tell me if PADI has rules about this sort of thing.

Thanks.

There's nothing in the Instructor Manual that would preclude diving SM. That's not to say some idiot somewhere will tell you that he/she thinks you can't.

Standard Diver Equipment
Make sure divers have, at a minimum:
1. Fins, mask and snorkel
2. Compressed gas cylinder and valve*
3. Buoyancy control device (BCD) with tank mount or separate backpack, and low pressure inflator*
4. Primary regulator and alternate air source* *
Exception: Using a registered rebreather is acceptable if course performance requirements can be met. Do not use rebreathers during PADI Discover Scuba Diving programs, PADI Scuba Diver, Open Water Diver or Instructor Development Courses.
5. Breathing gas monitoring device (e.g. submersible pressure gauge)
6. Depth monitoring device
7. Quick release weight system and weights (if necessary for neutral buoyancy, or if required for skills practice) 8. Adequate exposure protection appropriate for local dive conditions. Note: The dry suit orientation requirement in this guide.
9. At least one audible emergency surface signaling device (whistle, air horn, etc.). 10. Dive computer or RDP (eRDPML or Table)

The short answer is yes you can. As said there may be a little resistance, but most likely they won't even care.
I'd say don't ask, just book whatever dives you want to and turn up with all your SM kit ready to go.

If they do resist, ask them to show you where in PADI standards it says you can't!

The short answer is yes you can. As said there may be a little resistance, but most likely they won't even care.
I'd say don't ask, just book whatever dives you want to and turn up with all your SM kit ready to go.

If they do resist, ask them to show you where in PADI standards it says you can't!

I think that's terrible advice and a recipe for a bad day. If the instructor is stubborn, all the class may be cancelled.

Better to ask in advance and address any concerns they may have.

I have a credit for a couple more classes.

Which classes?

I'm a working DM, in order to say no, I would be expected to prove a valid reason for refusing a course. As there is no valid PADI based reasoning to say no in this instance, I don't see how this could be a problem. If the centre is not operating according to PADI standards, they would be in a far worse position than somebody wishing to complete a course in SM which is within standards.

Thanks very much for the fast replies! The classes are whatever comes up, the next one is Padi deep diver. I THINK it's being taught by the shop owner, who was a commercial diver for 20 years, so I'm hoping it's a little more informative than the typical padi class.

Thanks very much for the fast replies! The classes are whatever comes up, the next one is Padi deep diver. I THINK it's being taught by the shop owner, who was a commercial diver for 20 years, so I'm hoping it's a little more informative than the typical padi class.

PADI doesn't teach classes... instructors do. Accordingly, if any course is not informative that's an instructor problem... not a PADI problem.

---------- Post added October 2nd, 2014 at 06:23 PM ----------

I'm a working DM, in order to say no, I would be expected to prove a valid reason for refusing a course. As there is no valid PADI based reasoning to say no in this instance, I don't see how this could be a problem. If the centre is not operating according to PADI standards, they would be in a far worse position than somebody wishing to complete a course in SM which is within standards.

Similarly, there's no valid reason NOT to clarify upfront. Unless the OP is willing to roll the dice on whether or not he'll have wasted the day and/or wants to get into a p***ing match with the instructor, call PADI to tell on him, then try to get his money back, or even worse try to take another course with the shop after he's called PADI to tell on him.

Personally, I'd take the 60 seconds to call the shop and say "just want to make sure I have everything I need for the course, and by the way, I'll be configured SM which, as I understand it is OK per the PADI Instructor Manual." This way, you've informed the instructor of your configuration as well as your knowledge that SM is acceptable.

My point was there is no need to justify upfront, as that is to imply that there is a potential for it to be considered you are in the wrong, which you are not. If you are not doing anything wrong, then why the need to clarify up front? It's a course, you are intending to turn up meeting the requirements, there is no more need to clarify than there would be if you were turning up in back mount single and you wouldn't do that. Therefore, by definition there is no need to clear it first in SM.

It may not be what the instructor is expecting, but that just means it's different, not wrong!

Back
Top Bottom