Does crunching plastic bottle attract sharks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First I heard this one. I'll have to try it next time out in open salt H2O

Dive buddy was trying it off Palm Beach 2 weeks ago...when the reef shark rolled his eyes back it seemed better to stop.

The only time I have been on a feed dive, a plastic bottle was what they brought the bait down in. Is it possible that you were close to a site where sharks are fed, and that the DM is replicating the sounds that the sharks key in on to signal dinner?

The only time I have been on a feed dive, a plastic bottle was what they brought the bait down in. Is it possible that you were close to a site where sharks are fed, and that the DM is replicating the sounds that the sharks key in on to signal dinner?

I don't remember them crunching that plastic bottle

Yes and no. At some places we tried it. Once, grey reef sharks came out of the deep blue. Also some reef fish will be attracted.

Yes used it all the time in PNG and Indonesia, does not work for all species and then can become accustomed to it and not come in as well

I wonder if the crunching sound of a plastic bottle underwater possibly simulates the sound of a weakend, thrashing, dying fish (i.e., prey), thus attracting the shark ... just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom