Does Atomic Z2/Z2x squeal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fritz,
You are exactly correct about depth and tank pressure. My first B2 started squealing at 1800 psi until it got down to 1100 psi. My new, replacement B2 starts squealing around 1100 psi and quits around 800 psi. It is the worst when the depth is around 40 feet (where we do most of our diving). I have spoken to Atomic about it and they are very willing to help me out. In fact, after giving up trying to fix my first B2, they sent me a brand new replacement. Unfortunately, it squeals too. Because it is so difficult for even Atomic to fix, it seems more than obvious to me that there is an inherent problem in the design. I very much appreciate the fact that the majority of Atomic regulators do not squeal. However, it's my feeling that, (especially) for the price, none of them should squeal. Many people, like myself, feel that when you pay more for a product, you will get better quality and performance. When that doesn't come true, it is very disappointing. Also, many people, and even dive equipment testers (and magazines) ONLY test regulators, and rate them on 'how they breathe'. Unfortunately NO one rates them on how quiet or noisy they are. Part of the beauty of diving is that of going into a quiet, peaceful world where we can enjoy the wildlife (marine life) in it's natural habitat. Sometimes, it's even annoying when another diver starts banging their tank because they saw a Squirrel Fish. However, having a squealing regulator not only bothers the person using it, but it also is very disturbing to everyone around them (including the marine life). On this post, I find it interesting that a few have responded by saying that they haven't had a problem with their Atomic regs. The purpose of this post wasn't to learn who and who has not had problems, but rather to bring attention that an unusually high number of Atomic regulators (of all models) have had squealing problems. Only by bringing such attention to a problem will a manufacturer actually take care of the problem.
Best Regards,
Kent

My first B2 started squealing at 1800 psi until it got down to 1100 psi. My new, replacement B2 starts squealing around 1100 psi and quits around 800 psi. It is the worst when the depth is around 40 feet (where we do most of our diving).

My experience was similar. I wasn't thinking it through before when I said I couldn't tell whether the sound was coming from the first or second stage - if it's dependent upon depth & tank pressure, that pretty much means it must be coming from the first stage, doesn't it? Since the intermediate pressure to the second stage is pretty constant... but I'm no reg hardware guru.

I have a Z2 and I have never noticed any noise. It is the best reg I have ever breathed from.

I have the ST1 and it also squeals. Really annoying high pitched noise from the 1st stage, Will try to get a refund and go back to scuba pro.

I just recently bought a Z2 with matching secondary's took it on a trip to Thailand last week, yeahI know shouldn't rake new or newly serviced gear on a trip without checking it out first, but figured/hoped that all would be good.

Well it wasn't, the Z2 makes a very high pitch squeal/whistle, high enough to shatter glass, every time I inhale seems to start at depths greater than around 15meters. The noise was so irritating,distracting and bordering on painful, when I say high pitch I mean high.

I bought online out of country which I'm sure is gonna now bite me on the arse. I'll contact the store and Atomic and see what is suggested. I actually sent Atomic an email about this reported "issue" prior to purchase and they replied they were unaware of any such issue. Very disappointed.

I just recently bought a Z2 with matching secondary's took it on a trip to Thailand last week, yeahI know shouldn't rake new or newly serviced gear on a trip without checking it out first, but figured/hoped that all would be good.

Well it wasn't, the Z2 makes a very high pitch squeal/whistle, high enough to shatter glass, every time I inhale seems to start at depths greater than around 15meters. The noise was so irritating,distracting and bordering on painful, when I say high pitch I mean high.

I bought online out of country which I'm sure is gonna now bite me on the arse. I'll contact the store and Atomic and see what is suggested. I actually sent Atomic an email about this reported "issue" prior to purchase and they replied they were unaware of any such issue. Very disappointed.

Atomic has a reputation for very good service, I would recommend sending it in to the Huntington Beach plant and I bet they'll correct it.

Atomic has a reputation for very good service, I would recommend sending it in to the Huntington Beach plant and I bet they'll correct it.

Cheers, yes I emailed them a couple of hours ago so guess ill hear from them over the next day or so, I'm fairly confident given their reputation that'll it'll all work out in the end just wish I didn't have to put up with it during a weeks diving holiday, was on a live aboard so wasn't much I could do about it. I did a pool dive prior to the trip just to check reg was functioning and all seemed ok, but issue only became apparent at depth. The postage from Japan and then from the US back to me I'm sure wil be a pretty penny, but still cheaper than buying it locally, in fact was over 50% cheaper, therein lies the risk if buying online and offshore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom