Does Atomic Z2/Z2x squeal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My buddy's B2 squeals but mine doesn't. After the first factory service, mine squeals but his stopped squealing.:dork2:

Neither of our M1s squeal.

I have a B2 from around 2004. It has been serviced multiple times and also rebuilt by Atomic, but has never made noises. I keep it de-tuned to the most restrictive setting, so maybe that has something to do with it. The only issue I've seen is that the second stage will breath a little wet when it needs servicing. Overall, it's been an excellent reg.

I just had my T1 serviced at a lds. It has that bray (hum) on inhale and exhale now that it didn't have before. Granted it's not been wet yet since the service. Ill give it a go in water first to see if it stops.

I know it's all just anecdotal, but another B2 owner here (from 2007) who had squealing problems the first 50 dives or so. Even after reporting it to the LDS where I bought it & their "tweaking". Seemed to only happen at certain depths & tank pressures, very high pitched so hard to tell whether it came from 1st or 2nd stage.

The squeal has never returned, even after my first scheduled two-year servicing.

Just an update. I was diving at willow springs last weekend and the water temp was around 38 degrees, My Atomic Z2 performed fantastic, This is the best Reg that I have bought so far. I also had my pony bottle just incase it would free up but so far it works great.

lee

There have been some reports of the Atomic Z2 1st stage whistling (squealing) underwater. I have personally seen one do it, but fortunately it wasn't mine. Some divers have the large spring reversed and lubricated and the high pressure O-ring lubricated to solve the issue. Some have it completely serviced, and some have to have it replaced to solve it.

Really, the squeal is a known issue (according to Atomic), can be moderately irritating, and can usually be corrected by flipping or replacing the spring. Mostly it's a surface effect and only rarely does it continue underwater.

Yes, the squeal I heard was during two complete dives, and it was so loud it scared the fish and everyone could hear it. It had very few dives on it as well.

One of my piston 1st stages (not Atomic) developed a whistle several years ago when I over-soaked all of the ChristoLube off of the spring with water and white vinegar solution. That's why I no longer use white vinegar on any parts that are lubricated.

Really, the squeal is a known issue (according to Atomic), can be moderately irritating, and can usually be corrected by flipping or replacing the spring. Mostly it's a surface effect and only rarely does it continue underwater.

Last edited:
How unfortunate for everyone especially Ned Beatty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom