Does anyone wear a plain old watch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did my first few dives using a timex watch, using the chronometer to keep track of the duration of the dive.

I just upgraded to a Hyper Aqualand, and did my last few dives with it. I just liked the additional info it provides, including the downloadable dive profiles.
I also did not have to worry about forgetting to stop the chronometer (which I did once with the timex).

As for the timex "not for scuba diving", my take is that it is probably a statement introduced by lawyers. If it just happens to fail during a dive, you can't sue them. After all, I believe dive watches are considered life support, so they're probably avoiding the additional hassle and risk of a lawsuit...

I'm just waiting to be able to afford a computer; then I'll keep using the aqualand as backup...
:D

dgangi once bubbled...

It has a big bezel around the entire watch that rotates. And rotating this bezel changes the mode. So moving from watch to chrono to timer is *really* simple -- just rotate the bezel. A lot easier than trying to push buttons. And the main operation button is a single big button centered on the bottom of the face. Very easy to push.

So what you're saying is that it's a perfect watch... for diving. I won't tell Timex if you won't.

- steve

I use the Citizen Aqualand Duplex as a backup to my computer. It reads temp, max depth, av depth, bottom time, and has a 4 dive log book. The only thing it doesn't do is download to a computer.

TAG/HEUER 2000 rated for 200 meters. I set the bezel when starting my decent. Have had it since'91 so whenever the battery is replaced I send it in to be resealed.

I Dive with a Citizen EcoDrive Aqualand
Has an analouge deoth gauge and timer so works very well as a backup to my computer.

Chris

I wear a watch when i am teaching only to keep track of how my day is going and if i am staying on schedule, not for any diving purposes

astrofunk once bubbled...
The funny thing is, the watch is rated waterproof to 100m or some such thing. But the warranty states that THIS IS NOT A DIVE WATCH, and claims to be invalid if the watch is used for scuba. TIMEX: how do you expect me to get to 100m???

At any rate, it hasn't failed me yet.

AFAIK the 100M rating refers to static pressure. IE Sitting still at 100 meters. When swimming about at 40 meters apparently the dynamic pressure can bust seals that are designed for a 100M static pressure.

I use a suunto cobra as my main dive instrument. However, most of the time I also wear my rolex submariner. Very rugged and easily readable at any depth.

jsm

Back
Top Bottom