Does anyone use a second inflator hose for

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You will occasionally bump it on the boat and underwater and it scares you the first 10 times, but you get used to it.
Or just use one like this,
20211228_075411.jpg

Inflating a SMB? Instead of oral inflation underwater and instead of unhooking your BC inflator hose does anyone use a second BC inflator hose to inflate the SMB?

SMB? No

Lift Bags? Yes

_R

I use a dedicated hose for DSMB's and lift bags. I carry one of each in OW dives.
Using a 36" right now, routed under my right arm, snapped to left D ring.
This is my personal one. It's setup so that I can use it single handed. If I want to use it fill the SMB using the oral inflator, I pull the qd slide with my index and thumb while holding the hose with the rest of my fingers. The nozzle will pop off with ease (under pressure of course) and it is retained by the bungee. Or, use it as is to fill a bag.
I will also use it blow off my first stage when I am doing tank swap during SI.
20211228_111451-removebg-preview.png

Sort of. I have used a second inflator hose with a Dive Alert horn that could also be used for filling DSMBs. I found the horn to be a PITA when installed inline on the power inflator.

I have also used one with an air nozzle when I had to fill lot of small lift bags.
I have been thinking about the same setup. Possibly because you mentioned it elsewhere. I have the Dive Alert horn and am thinking of adding a 30" LP hose so I can clip it off at my BC pocket. My question is do you use a plug in the female end of the Dive Alert horn to keep sand, etc out? I was thinking if I could incorporate a clip into a male air hose plug, I might be able to clip it off that way. But then I am also worried about not putting too much strain on the end of the hose or horn should hose catch on something.

I use a dedicated hose for DSMB's and lift bags. I carry one of each in OW dives.
Using a 36" right now, routed under my right arm, snapped to left D ring.
This is my personal one. It's setup so that I can use it single handed. If I want to use it fill the SMB using the oral inflator, I pull the qd slide with my index and thumb while holding the hose with the rest of my fingers. The nozzle will pop off with ease (under pressure of course) and it is retained by the bungee. Or, use it as is to fill a bag.
I will also use it blow off my first stage when I am doing tank swap during SI.View attachment 697627
If I don't want the air gun, is there another way to plug the end of the QD to keep it clean like you have done with the gun? I guess I could just use your same setup with a male fitting and just cap it somehow. My female QD end will be the end of a Dive Alert horn.

My question is do you use a plug in the female end of the Dive Alert horn to keep sand, etc out?

I plug an air nozzle into the the female QD to make filling DSMBs easy.

1651275394916.png

You can buy a male QD and cap it if you don't want the air nozzle.

Any hardware store in the US sells brass 3/8" FNPT LP caps.

I plug an air nozzle into the the female QD to make filling DSMBs easy.

View attachment 720000

You can buy a male QD and cap it if you don't want the air nozzle.

Any hardware store in the US sells brass 3/8" FNPT LP caps.
Oh, that's perfect. I think I'll shamelessly steal this. Can I ask you about where you clip it? I was thinking about 2 potential places. Use a 30" hose and bring it down next to my inflater hose along my shoulder strap. This would have the Dive Alert sitting clipped to the top of my BC pocket where my knife is. The other option is a 36"-40" hose and bring it behind my left arm to clip to the bottom of my BC pocket. The latter route seems like it would be more out of the way and give me a longer hose for the DSMB. I am thinking about using a brightly colored Miflex hose in either case.

Here is related convention I have been following since the 1980s. All my LP hoses are for regulators and I add an adapter like these for BC and drysuit power inflators:

There reasons include reducing the different hoses in my dive locker and spares inventory. It is also much easier to find a replacement regulator hose at remote dive sites than inflator hoses. IMO, the flexibility is worth the in cost and the risk of an additional O-ring.

@UWDawgDiver looks like you gave a host of good answers thanks to Akimbo.

My 2 psi, if you are willing to go with a cap to protect the schrader valve, you might as well go with the air nozzle, same function with more options.

Routing is up to you as already pointed out. Mine is clipped to my left chest D ring so I can readily grab it with my right hand or left hand if needed. Depending on the BC I use, I sometimes route through the gap between the wing and plate then under my right arm. It is tucked away this way. Also, the available port on my Sherwood is facing straight down.

As I tell people who see this setup and are are curious, I say "you have the ports, use 'em"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom