Does anyone use a Scuba Dive flag float?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't use one (quit shore diving) but the minute I put up the dive flag on the boat the same thing happens.

So many stupid people with ability to buy boats and PWC, I almost think licences should be required (going against every libertarian instinct I have)

wannabe--I think it will come to that at some point in the future

I always use a blowup float when there is any possibility of boat traffic or fisherman, but on the other hand if there will be no fishing or boats I won't.

Like I said I like the blow up kind with the water in the bottom. My first thought was that it was going you bust/ tear, but trust me first impressions can be deceiving.

Here in Oregon they recommend that people stay at least 200 ft from a dive flag. The only true restriction though is that PWC must go no faster than 5 mph within 200 ft of a dive flag.

Boating liscenses are definately coming. Our state is slowly making it so, depending on when you were born. Within the next 5 years everyone will have to have one. Maybe this will help a little.

Later, Hawk.

The only time we don't, is when we are diving within 30 feet of our dock (on a small land-locked lake). But when we do this, we leave it visible on the dock.

I use the one with a flag positioned on top, blow up the middle section and put water or sand in the lowest section. I use a 3/16" yellow nylon rope and plastic unit to wind the rope around. It is a bit of a pain having to hold the unit, especially on windy days, but I'm getting used to it.

As an aside, does anyone know how far away motorized (and non-motorized) boats must be from the flag and what speeds are allowed? I've tried to find the requlations for Canada, specifically for Ontario and Quebec, but they state "a safe distance".

But so far, no-one has dropped an anchor or fishing line near us.

I know they can be attraction to the jet ski morons but on balance would you rather know that they know you are there than not. Personally I'd use the inflatable which you send up when you're at the 5m safety stop.

Is there a fine for PWC ers and boaters who race to the finish line flag (dive flag) ? It would be great to have some surface support there with a video camera to bring some awareness and maybe prosecute ones who are a danger

In South-Africa and Mozambique most of our diving is done off inflatables.
We do drift dives with the DM using a surface marker - usually bright orange, with a reel.
This allows the boat to follow the dive group at a distance and be ready to pick up divers on ascent.
When we dive on some of the wrecks in a strong surface current we often dive without this setup and deploy a SMB at the end of the dive prior to ascent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom