Does anyone use a Scuba Dive flag float?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Use a flag on a simple float with bright yellow braided poly line tied to it. Thus far no dives over 20' with it, and luckily have had no PWC morons attempt to play tag-the-flag with it.

I have debated having a watch on the beach armed with a .30-06 and VHF on ch16 to let the CG know that the smoking boat tried to kill divers.. especially after wathing a boat race right up between 2 flags off shore under which were 3 scubaboarders, one being my wife.

I had a jet skier pull my flag up once. Given the cost of the flag and reel and no deco obligation I went up with it. Scared him silly when I popped and ripped him a new one. Idiots should not be allowed on personal water craft.

The more usual result is some form of slalom run around the flag and boaters coming over to see what it is.

I used to spearfish extensively, and invariably within about 15 minutes of being in the water fishermen would show up as they figured if I were still there, there were fish in the area. They then normally would ***** about having to stay 75 ft away and how divers hog all the good points and prevent them from fishing them.

The end result was a change in the dive flag law in South Dakota to allow boaters to run over divers as long as they only use an electric trolling motor. So rather than running over me with a noisy outboard that I can hear and avoid, they use a silent trolling motor. Much more of a saftey hazard in low visibility conditions but now perfectly legal. Idiots should also not be allowed in the legislature either.

:D LOL

Spent a very interesting 50 minute dive at a place called Bacoli just outside of Naples, Italy towing an elderly gentleman and his boat around the bay whilst he fished!

I'm not sure who was more suprised.

I suppose the exercise did me some good.

Dive safe, all

Too funny, Kev . . .

BEM:
But so far, no-one has dropped an anchor or fishing line near us.

Too bad... you could have had fun pretending to be a fish hooked on their line, or detaching their anchor from the anchor line. :)

That would show them!

I always wondered how much good it does me when I'm 30 feet down to have a flag on the surface. I've seen some big hooks imbedded in the coral and the bottom, if it keeps the trollers away its worth it! Some of those /0 hooks look like they would really hurt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom