Does anyone know what replaced the SP MK17/G250V from the scubapro regulators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Radicice

Registered
Reaction score
I was looking for a cold water reg which breaths well, I did my research and found the SP MK17/G250V and (SP MK25/G250V) got good reviews from divers (I dont know what the Mk17/25 means). When I went to look for one of them I noticed they are not made anymore, is anyone aware of a regular that's made from SP which is a relative to those regs?

Regards,
Radic

The MK17 and MK25 describe the first stages. The MK17 is a sealed diaphragm first stage without a turret while the MK25 is a piston first stage with a turret. The MK17 is preferred for colder water (below 50 or so). Scubapro also makes a MK-21 which is a turret-less piston first stage which may have better cold water performance than the MK-25 but it is new and the jury is still out on it.

The 250V second stage was replaced by the G260. I believe the G260 has the G250 internals in a smaller ambidextrous case. If you want a G250V some dive shops may still have old stock alternatively Halcyon sells a rebranded G250 as the Halo. Another choice is the S600 second stage.

MK17 with G260

How well does the mk25 perform in waters as cold as 36-39 degrees?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It has a mixed reputation in very cold water. A sealed first stage, either diaphragm or piston, would be a better choice.

I dove one winter in Finland with MK25/G260. I had IP detuned a bit to about 8.5bar and never had a single freeflow or problem. I had my doubts but scubapro north Europe rep encouraged me to give it a try.

MK25 is not sealed but it has excellent air flow and very good thermal properties to "warm" when submerged. Very very good reg for any conditions. Performance and hose routing is better than in MK17. Please note that the older versions don't work that well in freezing conditions, you'll need the newest model of MK25.

If I had a haircut and got a real job I would probably only dive with these. As a dive instructor I can't afford enough of these :D

- Mikko Laakkonen -

I love diving and teaching others to dive.

MK25 is not sealed but it has excellent air flow and very good thermal properties to "warm" when submerged. Very very good reg for any conditions. Performance and hose routing is better than in MK17. Please note that the older versions don't work that well in freezing conditions, you'll need the newest model of MK25.

Not really. Although SP has tweeked a few elements of the "TIS" design that is intended to discourage freezing over the years, none of it is even close to the level of effectiveness of the old SPEC system in which the ambient chamber is packed with grease and sealed from water. If you need a very high flow balanced piston 1st stage in extremely cold water, get the sealed atomic. It's still packed with grease. Or if you're cheap and lucky, find a MK10 with a SPEC boot.

As I mentioned, the MK25 has a mixed reputation in cold water. Many divers like this one have had good results, although it does seem to be somewhat dependent on the 2nd stage choice, while others have free flow problems. Considering there are excellent options for 1st stages that are specifically designed for cold water, why choose to get something that may or may not do what you want?

The hose routing issue is significant for those who use the long hose, like me. I love the end port.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom