Does anyone know anything about this scuba light probe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brian Pasic

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Have had this pretty cool scuba flashing probe light that attaches to you via velcro strap. It looks very 1960s/1970's and is very cool. It doesn't seem like it uses the same technology that we use today. It makes this high pitched hum then flashes. repeats the high pitched noise then flashes ad nauseam -... its pretty sweet and is definitely older than me... If anyone knows anything about it I'd love the details...

[video=youtube_share;0lOQebHLNjY]http://youtu.be/0lOQebHLNjY[/video]

IMHO. This appears to be an older version of a scuba marker strobe. People still use them for night diving Aqua Strobe | Princeton Tec

The sound leads me to believe that this uses technology similar to that found in camera flashes. The noise is the oscillator converting the DC battery voltage to AC, which is then stepped up to a higher voltage (hundreds of volts) and used to charge a capacitor. This is then discharged to light the flash bulb.

I think Oz has it nailed. The whining phenomenon indicates a "thyrister" circuit, commonly used in photographic strobes. All my professional (land-based) strobes that I used in press and wedding photography used the same system. More modern ones may do the same, but I've noticed that they don't emit the sound.

We use these on night dives to find our exit points when shore diving. Can be strapped to a buoy near the surface or at depth to help find an anchor line when boat diving. Can also be used as an emergency rescue locator beacon if lost at sea. Most will flash reliably for hours.

Back
Top Bottom