Anyone know anything about this Sea Frogs new light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ardy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi, a friend of mine has a sea frogs housing for his Sony A6000 and is looking for a cheap flash as he only dives very rarely.
Anyone here bought one and seems odd as a strobe, video light and unwater light.

www.aliexpress.com

163.02€ 50% OFF|Seafrogs MK 01 MK 02 MK 13 Mk 18 MK 19 6000Lm IPX8 100M Wasserdichte Kamera Unterwasser Tauchen Fotografie Beleuchtung Zubehör|Fotolampen| - AliExpress

Smarter Shopping, Better Living! Aliexpress.com

www.aliexpress.com
www.aliexpress.com

1672174339449.png

This is a continuous LED light, not a strobe. It can flash briefly, like a strobe, but without a strobe's power - it's rated at 6000 lumen (and Chinese lumen at that), whereas a typical GN32 strobe outputs around half a million lumen at peak intensity, i.e. a hundred times brighter. A proper strobe from SeaFrogs is this: Page Not Found - Aliexpress.com

Alternatively, look at getting a used Inon Z-240. If your friend is shooting primarily macro, look at Backscatter MF-1/MF-2, or AOI Q1, but these lack power for wide-angle shots, especially with a large-sensor camera such as an A6000.

This is a continuous LED light, not a strobe. It can flash briefly, like a strobe, but without a strobe's power - it's rated at 6000 lumen (and Chinese lumen at that), whereas a typical GN32 strobe outputs around half a million lumen at peak intensity, i.e. a hundred times brighter. A proper strobe from SeaFrogs is this: Page Not Found - Aliexpress.com

Alternatively, look at getting a used Inon Z-240. If your friend is shooting primarily macro, look at Backscatter MF-1/MF-2, or AOI Q1, but these lack power for wide-angle shots, especially with a large-sensor camera such as an A6000.
Thanks, interesting information. A S/H any model Z240, SnS etc sell for around $A400 (270us)+, he sees no advantage in spending that amount for a once-a-year dip in the ocean.
Would this light work for macro? Any other alternative?

It sounds like your friend might need to rethink the whole idea. Underwater photography is a complex, not to mention expensive, discipline - for someone who dives once a year, the added task loading of managing a large camera during a dive can be downright dangerous. A GoPro or equivalent is probably the better choice for them.

It sounds like your friend might need to rethink the whole idea. Underwater photography is a complex, not to mention expensive, discipline - for someone who dives once a year, the added task loading of managing a large camera during a dive can be downright dangerous. A GoPro or equivalent is probably the better choice for them.
He used to do a lot of wreck/deep diving and is very well versed in risk aversion, dive planning and execution. I have been diving regularly for 50 years and he's a better diver than me by a long way, also he's a lot younger than me. The only reason he is not diving more is the cost of a divorce and the need to get enough money together to retire.

Re the light in question.

I've used Seafrogs housings for over a thousand dives so I was hopeful when I saw this torch. However, the one I got from AliExpress died after two dives, sent it back to China, they "fixed" it and it died after one dive. It leaked through the control knob at the rear, only a small leak but enough to fry the electronic controls at the back. Maybe some will not have this fault, but I can't recommend it based on my experience.

Regarding the strobe function, this article about a similar but far more expensive torch might help THINKING IT AGAIN: WEEFINE SMART FOCUS 6000

Re the light in question.

I've used Seafrogs housings for over a thousand dives so I was hopeful when I saw this torch. However, the one I got from AliExpress died after two dives, sent it back to China, they "fixed" it and it died after one dive. It leaked through the control knob at the rear, only a small leak but enough to fry the electronic controls at the back. Maybe some will not have this fault, but I can't recommend it based on my experience.

Regarding the strobe function, this article about a similar but far more expensive torch might help THINKING IT AGAIN: WEEFINE SMART FOCUS 6000
You specifically has the mk-02 light the OP is talking about? I'm also interested in the light as a fill light in conjunction with my strobe and as a video light.

You specifically has the mk-02 light the OP is talking about? I'm also interested in the light as a fill light in conjunction with my strobe and as a video light.
Yes the MK02 light, if you can get it and test it underwater promptly just in case you have to return it, then maybe it's with the risk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom