Does anyone know about this "wreck dive" in Cozumel??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CozumelAntonio

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello Everyone:

I just got an inquiry about the sunken "barge" dive, and was caught off-guard, I've never heard of it, have any of you long-time Cozumel divers ever dove this:

C-53.jpg

Barge Wreck ( Shore, Boat )

Conditions: Currents to be expected, windy and surface chop between November and April.

Minimum depth: 30 ft/ 9 m

Maximum depth: 40ft/ 12m

Average visibility: More than 66 ft/ 20 m

The barge was sunk in 1976 and is now completely overgrown with marine life. There are many different corals and all marine life. The barge is 100ft., 30 m. long by 30 ft., 9m. Wide and 10ft., 3m. Height and sits upright on the sea bed. There are two safe access points to the interior. The barge is a superb night dive and photographers, especially, should not miss it. There are large green moray eels and outstanding numbers of black, Nassau, and other large grouper.

I'd love to hear if anyone knows about this...

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hello Everyone:

I just got an inquiry about the sunken "barge" dive, and was caught off-guard, I've never head of it, have any of you long-time Cozumel dive fans ever dove this:

Barge Wreck

I'd love to hear if anyone knows about this...

Thanks!

I heard somewhere that Wilma swept it away.

I know very little about it and have not personally seen this wreck.
What I've heard from word of mouth that it is located between the Aqua Safari pier and Punta Langosta the big cruise ship pier right in town.
The only people I've asked who have actually seen it first hand aren't saying anything incredible about it.

Ive been on it a few times but many years ago. Nothing special. Nowdays its in a heavy traffic area so if you were to try and dive it you likely would need a boat. No idea what Wilma did to it. Next time you fly into Cozumel if the plane flies over the area you might be able to see it.

I had just started diving on my trip to Coz last Feb and our group of five visited the wreck. I enjoyed it much more than anticipated---we saw a very large green moray eel in the ship, and I just enjoyed swimming around and through it. It was a bit of a boat ride North from the Iberostar, but worth the trip. I'm actually headed back next week and plan to do the wreck again. We say some large rays and barracudas at the site as well...enjoyed it.

Bowman? Are you talking about the C53 wreck or the barge? Thanks

That pic looks like the c53 to me. I dove it today, a great dive.

It looks like C53 to me too. I dove it right after Wilma so I can say that it was definately still in place at that time. It was an OK dive ... lots of big fishies hanging around but not much else.

The C53 and the barge are two different sites. I doubt any operator does trips to the barge (assuming its still intact). Its confusing since Antonio had a picture of the C53 on his post asking about the barge wreck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom