Does AeroMexico weigh carry-on bags?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bjd001

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Flying San Francisco to Mexico City to Cancun soon on AeroMexico. Their website gives weight limits for carry-ons as well as for checked bags. Does anyone know if they really weigh the carry-ons?

Limits are 50 lbs for the checked bag, 22 lbs for the carry on (standard 22 x 14 x 9 dimensions), and 6.6 lbs for your personal item (handbag, briefcase, laptop case, or backpack).

The only time I've ever had a carry-on weighed was flying between islands in Fiji and the Cayman Islands. (In Fiji, they also weighed the passengers!) I haven't flown AeroMexico before.

Thanks!

Direct answer: I don't know.

But a slightly different answer, in that with Aeromexico I always use OptionTown to bid for an upgrade. I've had good success. Then you don't have to worry about weight limits so much and get to fly up front. Just one way to deal with bag weight limits.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did see that option but I think it would cost more than just paying for an extra checked bag.

But a slightly different answer, in that with Aeromexico I always use OptionTown to bid for an upgrade. I've had good success. Then you don't have to worry about weight limits so much and get to fly up front. Just one way to deal with bag weight limits.
Now that's a new one on me. It'd be nice if they added more airlines, but I am sure they are trying.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did see that option but I think it would cost more than just paying for an extra checked bag.
He's talking about this site: https://www.optiontown.com/home_page.do

Not an option with the airline itself.

Re: Costing a lot more than a bag: Not much more when I used it, but that has been a little while. I got upgrades from LAX to MEX for around 30 bucks. Not bad for a 3 hour flight. It's not guaranteed of course. And upgrades on the European airlines offered were much less attractive. So they might add more airlines, but it might not be a good value sometimes.

Just flew Mexico City to Cancun three weeks ago on Aeromexico. They didn't weigh my carry on but they did charge me for my second check in bag with all my dive gear (around $50 for being 8kg overweight).

Reporting back: Our carry-on bags DID get weighed at SFO at the start of the trip but not on any of the other flights. (And no one weighed our "personal items", which is good because they were way over the weight limit on the flights home!) In Mexico City there was a scale right next to where you handed over your boarding pass before getting on the plane but they didn't use it. One member of our group said she has had her carry-on weighed at that point on other trips.

We did have some fun going through customs and immigration in Mexico City. It was very confusing figuring out where to go next. (And it wasn't just us! There were a lot of people getting in the wrong line or trying to hand forms to the wrong person.)

We had paid in advance for an extra checked bag (so $40 each way instead of the $50 you pay at the airport). But when we checked in at the Cancun airport on the way home, they said we had only paid one way. So we had to pay again for the way back. I'm just waiting for the credit card bill so I can send in a request for a refund. (I have documentation showing we paid both ways but I didn't have it with me.) We'll see how that works.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom