Does a pull-dump stress the corrugated hose flange?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bkotheimer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi! I am posting this in the DiveRite forum because DR advocates pull-dump equipped hoses on wings, where other manufacturers do not necessarily. My BP/W setup is not a DiveRite, but I am considering retrofitting it with a pull-dump hose and possibly a RiteSource or similar device.

Are DR wings reinforced more around the flange than other wings in order to accommodate the repetitive pulling on the hose, or does this action not produce enough stress to worry about on a typical wing or BC? Would the integrity of a Halcyon, OMS or similar wing be jeopardized at all by the installation of a pull-dump corrugated hose fitting?

Maybe not but it would sure generate alot of snickers. Seriously though, why would you introduce a failure point on a device that has been engineered and carefully designed to work without one?

If you decide to do this, I have a RiteSource with the inlafator hose, an adaptor to convert any lenght LP hose to RiteSource as well as a Dive Alert 2 that goes along with it, all for sale.

Only used for ~20 dives and I'll make you a deal.

Willem

I have seen students break a shoulder dump by pulling too hard. The result is a large and instant leak high in the wing or BC that precludes the ability to trap any air. In short, you get a total wing/BC failure.

With a wing it is very easy to dump using the pull dump on the bottom of the air cell during normal swimming, and with a little practice, horizontal ascents are also easy. If not, it is still very easy to just lift the corrogated hose and dump out of the inflator.

In short, there is no upside to a shoulder dump and a serious potential downside.

Does a pull-dump stress the corrugated hose flange?

Of course it does.

In fact...

- it stresses the corrugated hose along it's entire length
- it stresses the connection where the hose attaches to the inflator
- it stresses the connection where the hose attaches to the dump
- it stretches where the dump attaches to the wing

How much stress does pulling on it exert on each of these points?

A lot more than if you don't pull on it!

Of course it does.

In fact...

- it stresses the corrugated hose along it's entire length
- it stresses the connection where the hose attaches to the inflator
- it stresses the connection where the hose attaches to the dump
- it stretches where the dump attaches to the wing

How much stress does pulling on it exert on each of these points?

A lot more than if you don't pull on it!

Not sure, but isn't there a wire line that connects the valve to the dump valve ?
That wire would take most of the stress rather than the hose.

To the OP, if you wuold like a Dive Rite dump valve I would be happy to send you one of mine , if you are willing to pay the shipping. I changed out my Dive Rite wings to a standard elbow.

Thanks, Jim Breslin

Not sure, but isn't there a wire line that connects the valve to the dump valve ?
That wire would take most of the stress rather than the hose.
Thanks, Jim Breslin

Yes there is. The hose is not stretched to anywhere near its limit when you pull, either. My Travel EXP wing has this setup, and I can tell you that you barely pull and it dumps immediately...it does not take a firm pull at all. Actually, it's quite sensitive.

That said, 99% of the time I use the dump at the bottom left side.

It's probably something for some of the "DIR diving gods" on the Internet to look down his nose and snicker at, which makes me like it even more....it's a rec rig. I can easily swim it to the surface if I need to, so back off the keyboard already, hero! haha :wink:

I wouldn't worry about stress on the hose as much as on the line connecting the inflator and the valve which is what takes most of the stress. I've seen these break and the ones I've had apart didn't seem all that well constructed. I'm not remotely DIR or worried about extra failure points like a lot of people posting here, and I think pull dump hoses are a bad idea. (My BCs have always had them, but I just don't use them.)

Back
Top Bottom