Does a Camera change your dive experience?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SharkLover

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I recently purchased my first UW camera setup. And I would like ask these questions:

1) Does owning and using a camera change your overall dive experience? For the better or worse?

2) Do you find yourself going on dives without your camera?
(less hassles, more enjoyment etc)

Thanks,
Dave

I started taking U/W images last November. It gave a whole new dimension to my diving and after about 150 dives with it, it's become part of my dive gear that I won't dive without. It has really enhanced my dive experience, I've got quite a few dives in the last year and it was time to move into a new phase.
As far as changing my style, I dive solo most of the time now even though I might be in the proximity of a group. Catherine had a great line. Solo divers with partners. I'm not saying if you have a camera you should solo, I was diving that way before I got a camera.
There is a bit more work having a camera in that you have to make sure everything is charged, you have enough space on your card for the next dive and a few other things but I enjoy it.

Photography has made me very dependant on my skills, mainly buoyancy. +/- a few feet is no problem when you are just diving, but shooting often requires you to hold position within a few inches. I've found that back finning is one of the greatest tools I have when shooting. It's great to have both hands free, rather than using one to steady and one to shoot.
I did 21 dives while in Roatan. I took my camera on 19 of those dives. My air consumption was significantly lower without the camera. I'm kind of a spaz when you put a camera in my hands and I tend to zip here and there to get different shots. Without a camera, I tend to be much slower and take it all in. I like taking it all in, but I also like the pictures.

so much more fun! At first it is more work and you might like a break. the other day I led divers and did not take it for obvious reasons and I always see things and wish I had it. Main thing...don't forget your air and bottom time situation....and your buddy. and don't be surprised if you start burning through some buddies.

SharkLover:
1) Does owning and using a camera change your overall dive experience? For the better or worse?

yes, in my case for the better. it's just so addictive waiting for that perfect shot while holding your bouyancy.

SharkLover:

Thanks,
Dave

i feel weird if don't have it with me while diving :D

I don't regret filmoing.

Yes. Mostly for the better. I challenge myself to be a better videographer by moving the camera more slowly and getting the best shots. This has forced me into having better buoyancy and my breathing consumption has lowered considerably (less strenuous breathing = steadier camera = better videos) I video’d a cenote dive (Taj Mahal) in Mexico and REALLY enjoyed the dive and RREEAALLYY like looking at the video – it turned out pretty good!

I’ve only had the setup for two years and have taken it on both winter trips to the Caribbean. It weighs a ton, but we watch the videos over and over. Up here I don’t use it much, but will more to improve my skills – and to remember to remove the camera lens cap before I jump in the water and am 50 fsw – for a second I thought “Damn, forgot to remove the lens cap, better open it up and – oh yeah bad idea to do that here.”

Having a camera doesn’t mean a hassle (except for the airtravel). Used to it and I miss having it on lots of dives – esp when an amazing scene appears (which is always for me).

I did mine ...

Once I started u/w photo the entire nature of my diving changed. When I started diving in 1971 my primary interest was in seeing as much as I could on every dive. I was somewhat of a "reef runner"

My first offshoot/diversion in diving was the whole marine aquarium thing and almost all my dives for several years (I was living in S Fla at the time and doing a ton of shore dives) were done to gather critters for my 250 gallon salt water tank.

But the real deal for me came on a project with the Cousteau's in 1988. They had a guy on loan from Nikon (Scott Frier) who had shot their Amazon Expedition and really knew his stuff. Plus, Nikon had supplied him with about 10 full Nikonos outfits, which he loaned to project participants, as long as you were willing to sit through his u/w photo classes and learn how to repair the camera if it broke or you flooded it. Talk about a deal that was too good to refuse !! I came back from that 2 week project in the BVI totally hooked on u/w photo and bought my own Nikonos set-up. I shot film with that camera until just this year, when I made the jump to digital.

Bottom line for me is that I don't swim a large distance any more on my dives. Depth (at least below 50') isn't really a priority to me. Oh ...I'll drop off a wall and bounce off 90' to see what's happening but for the most part you can find me in 30 - 40' hanging out on a coral head or ledge cheking out the little creatures and looking for my next shot.

I may be the exception, rather than the rule, but once I got a camera in my hand under water I was smitten. My office walls are covered with prints of creatures of the deep and it gives me great pleasure to show them to people who otherwise would never see such things. It also helps to surround myself with things that keep my mind off the fact that I'm at work !!

'Slogger

I purchased a small digital and housing sans external strobery just to prevent the camera from taking over the dive. Well... it didn't work. I find that the camera has indeed taken over the dive and though I have a bolt snap tied to it so I can clip the camera off on my d-ring it is seldom out of my hand. It has gotten so bad that when my lens fogged while diving at a pristine and fabled site for the first time, I was ready to call the dive! How sad is that!?!

So yes, having a camera has changed my whole approach to diving. But really for the better in every way. I love having pictures to show my wife and family as well as post here on SB. I love being able to see all of the things upon downloading that I missed seeing on the dive. There always seems to be interesting stuff in the pictures that I find at home!

As has already been mention buoyancy and fin control with the ability to position yourself in the water are skills that using a camera will force you to develop. If you dive with others your situational awareness and buddy skills will also have to be kicked up a couple of notches. Having a camera is no excuse for being a crappy buddy!

As far as covering long distances... I'm selling my Gavin Scooter... I go a lot slower now and pay attention to the small stuff.

1) Yeah, for the better. I'm much better at finding little critters when actively looking for a good subject.

2) I'll go on dives without all of my camera rig. If I'm leading a dive or helping with students I leave the strobe behind and just take the occasional snapshot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom