Doc Deep dies during dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Akimbo or others, how did Ahmed Gabr deal with HPNS , Joint Compression and other risk factors when he did his bounce dive to 1,000 FSW a few months back? Isn't that what DrDeep was trying to replicate? From reports back then, Gabr's accomplishment was herald by Guinness and training agencies. Just trying to understand how did Gabr succeed from a technical standpoint. Thanks.

Gabr and Garman were worlds apart in experience and training, at the very least. Gabr had about 9000 dives, was ex-special forces, passed a USMC Combatant Diver course, which includes drownproofing, and spent 4 years training specifically for his world record dive, according to this article:
Inside the World's Deepest Dive with Egyptian Ahmed Gabr

Gabr and Garman were worlds apart in experience and training, at the very least. Gabr had about 9000 dives, was ex-special forces, passed a USMC Combatant Diver course, which includes drownproofing, and spent 4 years training specifically for his world record dive, according to this article:
Inside the World's Deepest Dive with Egyptian Ahmed Gabr

Thank you for sharing the link on Gabr's 332 meter dive. Amazing that he reached that depth in 12 minutes. It seems that that is what Dr Deep tried to do. Does Anyone know if Gabr suffered any permanent post dive issues?

Thankfully I have never perceived any compression pains, and make pretty rapid descents on Scuba and surface supplied. My perception has been, perhaps incorrectly, that compression arthralgia isn't much of a problem until around 400-450'. Anybody here experienced it? Come to think of it, I don't recall freedivers reporting compressions pains, but they are pretty narc'd and deep in their "Zen" mode really deep.

I never felt arthralgia. But I had a minor form of hpns on 1 deep dive to 130m. I cannot describe, unstable, but absolutely clear in head. Others who have experienced ofter hpns on deeper dives said yes you had, but just the beginning. Yes it was a fast descent. On other dives to that depth I did not feel it again. 1 time I had almost a CO2 hit on my rebreather. Normally I breathe 6-8 times per minute. When I went down to 132m I realised I was breathing 14-16 times per minute. I signed my buddy directly I want to go up and around 110m all was fine again.
On another fast descent to 100m I mentioned that I was narced and decided to abort the dive, I did not feel well enough to wait a few minutes and then go futher with the dive. 100m is a depth you cannot make mistakes. The day before the dive I asked for 5% more helium, but on analizing it was not what I asked for. As the END was now around 40m and normally I don't have problems then, I decided to accept the gas. Next time I will not accept it, because we wanted here a long bottomtime and so a fast descent. If you take 1-2 minutes more time to descent with the same gas, then I was not narced.
On CCR I use in the ranges between 90 and 130m a heliair diluent: 6/72 I don't go often so deep, only if there is a nice thing to see. And around 130m I found that the problems are coming, my buddy experienced the same, so there are no plans to go deeper yet, such deep dives are only nice if there is something to see. The best dives are caves in shallows with cristal clear waters and warm waters. :D
And 60minutes on a 60m wreck makes more fun than 20 minutes on a 110m wreck, even if the runtimes are same (around 3 hours).

There is no redundancy for stupidity.

This has been one of the most informative forum topics I've read on the internet period. I initiated the read based on a facebook posting, linking the psycho-analysis mentioned before. I found the read to be brutally honest and it has described more than a few symptoms of deep diving I'd never heard of. Mind you, my thoughts from the beginning of this and previous threads was ... WTF is this guy thinking, but now with the number of responses and the legitimate statements from commercial divers, I think diving for depth is retarded. Period. If I ever find a friend in the dive community that is getting quals for the sake of just being able to go deeper, I'm going to try my damndest to sway them.

If I ever find a friend in the dive community that is getting quals for the sake of just being able to go deeper, I'm going to try my damndest to sway them.

Unless they're collecting cards with the goal of going much past 200m, you might want save your sermonizing. With the right training, gear, and experience/attitude, "deep" is a pretty relative term.

What makes this crazy is not really Garmin's motivation for the dive, but his decision to go so far outside what's even remotely manageable as a non-commercial/navy diver without any meaningful experience. Diving one time to where things start to get into roll-the-dice-and-hope-for-the-best territory for any dive (800ish feet) in no way could have prepared him for how bad the physical effects of the next 300-400 feet would be. Maybe working towards 1200' could be justified, though accumulating lung damage might have prevented a truly gradual approach. But jumping straight to a 1200' attempt was either crazy or suicidal.

I know next to nothing about extreme deep diving and these conditions (HPNS, arthralgia) that keep coming up (there is plenty of good stuff to see in the top 130' of ocean!). I think one question I am curious about is what people with extreme deep experience know about his probable condition. I was talking to my wife, and said I hope at least he passed out before he realized something was seriously wrong. Because it would be horrifying to have one of these extreme deep conditions that caused paralysis while in that total dark and cold, while his brain was fully aware to realize the extent of his mistake as he continued to fall and went through the remainder of his air. He made a terrible mistake, but I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

I would agree, deep is a relative term. I made this comment because honestly, in Hawaii, what are you going to see at 200m? What is the purpose of going to those depths? Mind you, when I said "tec" divers I meant the quotations in their fullest extent. These are recreational divers taking tec courses in order to use more advanced equipment, etc etc. Diving with a goal, to see the Friendship at 200ft. Roger that. I copy all. When I hear them say I want to go get a tec specialy just so I can go to 200ft I have to question their reasoning. THAT is more of what I was referring to.

As far as the sermonizing goes. I'd rather be vocal and get myself shut up by friends with legitimate reasons than stay quiet and read a news article about them a couple years down the line.

The fact that the family/lawyers want the equipment back is making me believe they made mistakes after experts provided inputs into this tragic event. Typically all equipment in a fatality becomes part of the investigation.

I know next to nothing about extreme deep diving and these conditions (HPNS, arthralgia) that keep coming up (there is plenty of good stuff to see in the top 130' of ocean!). I think one question I am curious about is what people with extreme deep experience know about his probable condition. I was talking to my wife, and said I hope at least he passed out before he realized something was seriously wrong. Because it would be horrifying to have one of these extreme deep conditions that caused paralysis while in that total dark and cold, while his brain was fully aware to realize the extent of his mistake as he continued to fall and went through the remainder of his air. He made a terrible mistake, but I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.
I wrote some posts back something. I will react to you, even this has nothing to do with this accident, but you ask about things, so why not answer? My max depth is absolutely not as deep as doc deep has been and came back alive, but I don’t have plans to do that.
Arthralgia I have never experienced.

But first a thing that happens if END is high and you are narced ( I don’t know what the END of the gases was that doc deep used, but this example makes it for you maybe understandable if you don’t have any experience with technical diving): I never experienced being narced when I was a sportsdiver. Yes I have dived outside the 40m limit as a sportsdiver, up to 55m on air. I never experienced being narced. BUT: I thought I was not narced. Since I use trimix I know I was narced as a sportsdiver too. Now I recognize the minor beginnings of being narced: in my body most times tunnelvision. The problem with being narced is that if you don’t know what you can or have to feel you don’t feel it.
Fast descents make me really more sensitive for being narced, but it disappears a little bit if you stay at that depth. Being narced is possible with trimixes and high END’s
About hpns, I wrote I mentioned it 1 time, but not as strong as some others I know that have dived deeper have felt it. It was on a fast descent to 130m. I did not feel it again on dives to same depth.

1 time I almost had a CO2 hit on ccr.
Helium makes the gas less dense, so it breaths lighter. But even with a 6/72 the EADD (equivalent air density depth) on 130m on oc is around 43m. So if you go deeper you will for sure feel that breathing costs more energy. And CO2 is a contributing factor for getting narced, and faster breathing (on oc every breathe you throw your gas away), etc. This means that you have to know that there is a change that your RMV/SAC will not be the same at depth. I use on oc 12-14L per minute, 16L per minute in cold waters. But I have had that there was no reason I had 20L/min on 1 dive to 110m. Yes the water was cold, but I was relaxed and no currents and so on. So even if my normal gasconsumption of gas is lower, I always calculate my gas needed with 20L/minute. Deco too. I have never been deeper than 112m on oc, but you must know from yourself how much you will need and what differences you have in gasconsumption. On ccr bailout I calculate with more than 20L/minute. Getting cold makes you use more gas too.

Grouppressure is a special thing too: 1 time I listened to the group and my buddy and we get lost in a wreck and I had to decide to share air with my buddy or to kick him away and tried to safe only myself ( I decided to share air with him, and we surfaced healthy, his tank empty, mines 15 bars left, when we searched for the exit I counted how many minutes my life would be if we couldn’t find the exit. I thought what will I do if my buddy runs out of air because he uses more than I, etc).. Since then I always take at least a small spool with me on even the most simple wreckdive. Another example of groupthinking was a solodive I made on an 18L tank in my sportsdiver career to almost 50m: 49,7m (my brain said go back at that moment). When I told people about this dive, nobody told me how stupid it was to do this on a single tank in 4 degrees water (ok I had a drysuit and dual outlet on valve, but could not do a valvedrill) without any knowledge of deco, narcosis, etc. The reaction I got from other divers: wow, that was nice, but why did you not touched the 50m exactly? I can say to others I have never done stupid things, but this examples I use to warn people not to do the same.
If it is normal in a group to do deep air dives, then you think it is normal. I dived in this period with people who wanted to do deep airdives as sportsdiver. Some of them went to 73m on a single tank and they still say that trimix is a useless gas. :shocked2: So better not to listen to them. On the other hand, grouppressure that tell you that technical diving is useless because all interesting can be find in 20m depth is maybe some kind of safe grouppressure, but if your dreams are to explore deep wrecks or caves, then go for that. But try to find the right people. Technical diving is really nice, and it is not only deep, deeper, deepest.

Back
Top Bottom