Do your ears keep releasing pressure after diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcpowell

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So none of my dive buddies have this issue, but for a day or so after diving, I can feel a steady pressure on my ears. I can yawn or move my jaw and equalize so it’s not painful, but it always takes a day or so to go away. It’s the same as if I was driving in the mountains.

Anyone else have this, or am I just a freak? :troll:

I used to have problems for two to three weeks after diving. Rubbing alcohol in the ears would help, but only for about eight hours. I don't know what I do different, but I haven't had the same problem for the past three or four years. I don't dive more (although I would love to dive more). It as if my ears are now expecting it and just give up on the popping sensation.

You accepting 'wild guesses'?

You descend, ear hurts, you equalize. Repeat cycle. Your ear gets tired of this abuse after a while.

Equalize before you feel the need to. We all learn it over time. Ask me how I know...

It's pretty common. My buddy and I often both experience this if we dive more than two days in a row. As @lowviz mentioned, the constant "use" of your auditory tubes during equalization probably generates a little inflammation that prevents them from equalizing normally immediately after diving.

It's pretty common to have a residual pressure gradient between the middle ear and ambient pressure, especially in new divers who aren't equalizing early or often enough. Ear discomfort can be caused by outer or middle ear problems, but they are not related, and ear drops do nothing for equalization problems.

Here is my article on ears and diving.

Here is a good resource on various techniques for equalization.

If there is any question of middle vs. outer ear problems, you really need an examination by someone with experience looking in ears.

Dive safe!

Mike

I get it when diving nitrox or after using a high Fo2 gas for deco. "Draeger Ear". Oxygen gets metabolized in the middle ear and it feels like you need to equalize (cuz you do). Pretty neat.

I get it when diving nitrox or after using a high Fo2 gas for deco. "Draeger Ear". Oxygen gets metabolized in the middle ear and it feels like you need to equalize (cuz you do). Pretty neat.

Yup, also a reported problem on CCR, since you are running high PPO2 for the whole dive. Middle ear oxygen absorption syndrome.

Back
Top Bottom