Do you wear a dive watch?

Do you wear a dive watch?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know more non-divers that wear dive watches, than actual divers. Same goes for those pilot watches with the built in barometer and compass. With modern diving being almost 100% computer based, and dive profiles planned and executed as such, a dive watch does very little other than tell time these days. I do own a TAG Heuer that was given to me long before I started diving, and have never used it for diving. I remember thinking when I got that expensive watch "Maybe I should take up scuba diving now"
Humbug. Computers are my backup. I use a watch, spg, depth gauge, and the tables, like any sensible grown-up.

I had considered this dive watch. The Momentum Steelix. But will get a computer first.

1m-sp84b7b.jpg

Without a settable bezel for timing, how can you consider this a dive watch?

I use an old Citizen digital dive watch similar to this one. On the surface, it acts like a normal digital watch, but on a dive, it shows (max and current) depth, bottom time, temp etc. It logs almost everything that I tend to keep track of, so for the most part, I use its info to fill in my logs. I do not use it to replace my computer, I use it in addition to my computer.

5471.jpg

I wear a Casio "200M" watch when I dive-Not sure it is a "Dive Watch", but rather "a watch that I dive with".

To dive safely a diver must have 4 basics instruments. A SPG, a depth gage, a compass, and an under water timing device. To me rolling all these instruments into one device (dive computer) is ill advised. Personally I do not operate any of my computers air integrated and would not depend on one for air pressure, and I do wear a dive watch even when running 2 computers on a dive. A simple wrist watch with a one way rotating bezel, water resistant to 200 meters should be part of every divers personal equipment. JMO and I believe that of certification agencies.

I wore a dive watch for my first 600 or so dives before finally getting a computer. I received an expensive dive watch as a gift last week and sold it on Ebay the same day. :)

I wore a Citizen Aqualand Dive watch for years, it was the best gift my ex-wife ever gave me.
The biggest problem I had with it was the need to send it back to the factory to have the battery replaced every few years and that was one expensive undertaking.
Needless to say that with my Shearwater Perdix dive computer I no longer have a need for a watch since it keeps track of all those details for me.

Oops - I voted before I read the first post. I thought the poll was "do you wear a watch when you dive?"

I have a $30 timex attached to my bcd, so I voted yes.

Everyone should have a dive watch.. And, Use it on every dive.. Having BASIC instruments to backup your fancy computers just makes sense...

Jim...

Luna on my left wrist, citizen dive watch on my right. I check them for symmatry several times every dive, and so far, until I get below the limits on the watch, they're on the money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom