Do you use Sudafed....?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use sudafed when I dive in salt water, after long flights. I take one 12 hr. b/4 I go to bed then one about an hour b/4 the dive. I have never had a problem with blocks locally in the fresh water lakes, (Minnesota) so I think part of the problem in the flight, plus the lakes are usually more shallow dives.

I'm jacked up on sudafed right now. Allergies kill me at this time of year and I'll take one 12 hr. tab a few hours prior to diving. I'll avoid taking it if I'm not diving and use another allergy med in its place.

Damselfish:
If you look at the links under "Similar Threads" at the bottom of this page (or search) you can read some of the many earlier discussions about this.

I never noticed those links...:confused:

I use it all the time. I am highly impaired. You don't want to dive with me.

ForTheFight:
I never noticed those links...:confused:
well, they're not there until after you've started the thread. You can always search though.

(It would be neat if when you started a thread, it had an intermediate step where it showed related links and you could decide if you still wanted to submit the new thread.)

Just this last weekend I had a dive where I couldnt equalize, probably related to sitting upside down for a few min at the start of the first dive. Anouther dive at the site gave me some sudafed, and even though I'm deffinitly not sick, it released the pressure on my ear and allowed me to make my other two dives. Not saying its for every one or for every situation, but I'm carring some in my save a dive kit now to try if I cant equalize.

Knight1989:
but I'm carring some in my save a dive kit now to try if I cant equalize.

You know, my ENT, a diver recommended to me by DAN, told me to take Sudafed. I don't see what the big deal is all about. They last 4 hours. How many times has a dive lasted that long that it's going to wear off and cause you to have a reverse block?

Can someone clue me in on the saline spray? I"ve never heard of this treatment. Are you suggesting I squirt my contact sollution up my nose? :confused:

Greg,
Oh, it's fabulous. It's called Simply Saline and has a slightly curved "applicator" and you tilt your head to the side and "flush" your sinuses. No side effects and it's perfectly harmless. I doubt your contact solution would work unless you could jam it way up your schnozzer LOL...
Angela

fairybasslet:
You know, my ENT, a diver recommended to me by DAN, told me to take Sudafed. I don't see what the big deal is all about. They last 4 hours. How many times has a dive lasted that long that it's going to wear off and cause you to have a reverse block?

There are 12 hour versions, too, which will take you through a multi-tank session.

There has been some concern raised about the use of Sudafed while using Nitrox. DAN did a study on this:

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/me...p?articleid=51

The evidence is not really good--mostly anecdotal, and not many anecdotes. On the other hand, there is some experimental indication (one study done before Sudafed existed) that drugs like Sudafed may excite the central nervous system and potentially increase the potential for CNS toxicity.

DAN's conclusion is that Sudafed is generally OK to use, but to be safe you should avoid it if you are diving EAN to the point that your PO2 level might exceed 1.4ata. Note that this is the normal safe limit for EAN anyway.

Here is the key paragraph:

What's the bottom line? In normal, healthy divers breathing air, occasional use of pseudoephedrine at the recommended dose is probably safe. This presumes that the drug has been taken during periods when no diving has occurred and that no undesirable reactions have occurred. However, one should avoid chronic (daily) use when diving, and it seems reasonable to avoid the drug entirely if diving while using oxygen-nitrogen mixes where the PO2 during a dive might exceed 1.4 ata, the current recommended "safe" open-circuit scuba limit.​

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom