Do you "train" over the winter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Belushi

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
So, how many of you do not dust off the cobwebs over the winter?

do you think you need to?

My season only ends after the water freezes over since I'm not certified in ice diving yet. I go to my buddies pool and practice skills. It's only 7ft, but a great place to practice things like hovering, mask removal, mask removal while hovering and clearing while horizontal, doing mask removal and clears while sharing air, and all that other good stuff. If you're not into SCUBA hardcore then I can see why some people may shy away from it, but I believe it's a good idea anyway. I only got certified in June 03 so I'm a newb (hence anything I say should be take with a big ckunk'o salt), but I'm hooked! Almost 60 dives in 7 months :-0

BTW, how's the diving in the UK?

Belushi:

Belushi:

Personally, I see winter as an opportunity to improve on diving so that I can have more fun and less worry over the summer.However, I aim to dive OW at least once every month, all year round, and I do not think it is enough to keep skills current and drills instinctive.

After a summer of warm stuff I found myself forgeting small details such as connecting drysuit hoses. It took a few reminders in the form of a few suit squeezes and pinches in the 'right' places, before I remembered. :kick:

This w/e sees me at Wraysbury (hopefully) to practice rescue drills.

S.C.

No doubt yes.........if you try, you can learn something everytime you get wet. You never know it all.

Rage:
This w/e sees me at Wraysbury (hopefully) to practice rescue drills.

Woo, brave guy. Must be honest although I have done a few dives, I always try and do a couple of "warm-up" dives, but then I never get to do the dives I have been warming up for!

DrownedRat:
BTW, how's the diving in the UK?
Well it is cold, dark, and sometimes can be stunning depending on where you go and how much effort you want to put into it. But most of the time it is cold, dark and miserable

Belushi:
Well it is cold, dark, and sometimes can be stunning depending on where you go and how much effort you want to put into it. But most of the time it is cold, dark and miserable

Must be all those inland sites...comes from living in Essex! Give my regards to Lakeside. Bloody shopping centres...

Train others and do 'proper' dives over winter when I can. No cobwebs on my kit.

I only qualified last year anyway so I can't say my kits had time to gather cobwebs but I personaly don't view winter diving any differnt to summer diving. The only problem I have is finding like minded divers to buddy with. especialy as I've still got my nappies on & havn't the experience to go beyond 20m but thats changing.

but see post about insurance :-(

Stig , how do you get into your drysuit in a Nappy ?

Hoppy:
Stig , how do you get into your drysuit in a Nappy ?

LMAO I use a semidry so if it's not on quite right & leaks it just adds to the insulation. :baby:

Stig:
LMAO I use a semidry so if it's not on quite right & leaks it just adds to the insulation. :baby:

Those Active fit ones ! My 18 month old son has no problems in his.

Hoppy

Back
Top Bottom