Do you tip your instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tip waitresses and dive boats only.

I really dont like the idea of tipping. Two girls in the Dominican republic had the ignorance to ask for a $80 "tip" to push 2 elderly people in wheelchairs for a few minutes. And they were airline employees, doing an airline provided task. They were ignored.

(If my rental tank isnt full, as in full full, no tip. If you move my gear and scratch it up, no tip.)

But Im usually a very generous person. If my instructor wants to save a buck, lets go diving. Gas and lunch is on me.

I tipped the AI $100 at my Trimix course.

I come from a professional background where one always anticipates the next task, never delays his team, carries his own kit and is prepared to shoulder more than his share of the burden whatever it may be. Everything is about the team and its objectives.

At the shop, Hunter (AI) worked quietly but diligently loading and unloading all our twinsets, deco bottles and scooters for fills and charging before I could even lift my eyes from my course books or set my boat basket down.

Although I’m physically fit, Hunter made it easy on me to totally focus on academics, rehearsals and the dives.

He earned it.

I tip guides and instructors if they are employees or freelancers, not if they are the DS owner.

I
The tipping culture always surprises me. As everything which doesn't display clearly the price you are expected to pay (i.e. not including tips, taxes and other fees) I tend to perceive it as deceptive advertising and tax evasion, but I've come to accept that's the usage at some places. (There is also the hidden inflation...: the first time I went to the US more than 20 years ago, my American colleague gave me the rule of 5% bad service, 10% ok, 15 % exceptional; nowadays it looks that 20% is the new normal).

But tipping owners as in another thread sometimes ago (perhaps on another scuba related board), or tipping instructors is strange on a totally different level. The owner is the one who decides the pricing, I shouldn't have to second guess their decision. The ethical aspect of tipping instructors as already been mentioned.
I disagree, though, to each his/her own. I pay a price for a service, but I tip, in addition, if I find that service to be above expectations to exceptional.

I’ve been tipped as much as a custom drysuit. I recently tipped an instructor and assistant instructor about $300

As an instructor working in SEA, I have not nor will I ever ask for a tip. But a tip could be huge and really help out. I have had students tip me, buy me lunch or dinner and even drinks at a bar post-course. I appreciate it all. I have also had those who didn't tip at all. As a matter of fact, one student in particular comes to mind. This student was great and thrived on learning new knowledge and worked hard at the skills required for the ConEd course. This student passed with the last dive being executed to near perfection. No tip was given. This same student sends me messages all the time asking about gear recommendations for the additional courses they will be taking with me...sometimes at all hours of the night. I always respond with the best advice I can give. The tip that wasn't given would never change how I view my students. They are new dive buddies that I am creating and I am always willing to help out my dive buddies. So tip or no tip, my actions remain the same.

As for there being some ethical issue with an instructor getting a tip, I don't see how it is an issue. The tip is normally given after the course is over and the student has successfully completed all the necessary requirements per the standards. If a "tip" is given prior to this, it could be seen a more of a bribe than a tip. That I understand. But tipping afterwards poses no ethical dilemma that I can see.

As someone else stated here, instructors in some places make very little compared to other places in the world. A tip of around $6 here would make most smile. A tip of $32.52 would be huge and would go a long way for any instructor working in SEA or other places with a very low COL but also a low pay scale.

As for there being some ethical issue with an instructor getting a tip, I don't see how it is an issue. The tip is normally given after the course is over and the student has successfully completed all the necessary requirements per the standards. If a "tip" is given prior to this, it could be seen a more of a bribe than a tip. That I understand. But tipping afterwards poses no ethical dilemma that I can see.
Well, my thinking on that is that it's not about a specific instance; rather, it's that if the possibility of receiving a tip is in the back of an instructor's mind (as I'm sure it is for divemasters leading clients on dives), that has the potential for some bias toward a course outcome that pleases the student. Now, I recall making this assertion before in some similar thread, and an instructor or two replied insisting they would never be biased by the prospect of a tip, couldn't care less if students tip or not, etc. Some instructors may be like that--maybe you are--but others may kind of look forward to tips. Personally, I would feel more comfortable with instructors who as a policy refuse cash tips and accept, at most, tokens of appreciation like a lunch or dinner or bottle of something they might enjoy drinking.

I don't recall tipping my dive instructor, but always tip dive guides/boats. Really appreciate folks who go the extra mile to provide exceptional service, and I like to reward them for doing so.

Mod edit

Tipping culture is out of hand. Do you tip your doctor? Checkout clerk at the grocery store? There are hordes of people that provide services to you in life that you never tip. Why? They are being paid for the work they do. I don't see teaching scuba as any different. So I don't see any issue with not receiving tips from students. I've never seen anyone tip an instructor.

If what you charge isn't enough for you without tips, raise your fees.

I'd rather receive referrals than tips.

Back
Top Bottom