Do you tip your instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Taking a DM class now and was curious if it is customary to tip your instructor, and how much? Class is in Cozumel.
If you had a really good time and you want to, you can get drinks or dinner or tip. Outside of the US and Canada tipping is more individual, I think. People do it when they were very happy with you service and have money to spare.
If your instructor is Merican and the shop is run by Merican, I don't know what the expectation is... Europeans won't expect to get tipped usually, but they will take the extra money and won't say no to free beer.

Tipping culture is out of hand. Do you tip your doctor? Checkout clerk at the grocery store? There are hordes of people that provide services to you in life that you never tip. Why? They are being paid for the work they do. I don't see teaching scuba as any different. So I don't see any issue with not receiving tips from students. I've never seen anyone tip an instructor.

If what you charge isn't enough for you without tips, raise your fees.

I'd rather receive referrals than tips.

Mod edit

I could care less if I receive a tip or not. I made $1.4 million last year. Again, I tip to show how much I appreciate someone. Maybe you don’t appreciate anyone and as such no one appreciates you. Or you’re just cheap. Who knows. Rock on. :)

It’s like you didn’t read any of what I wrote. Lol.

I could care less if I receive a tip or not. I made $1.4 million last year. Again, I tip to show how much I appreciate someone. Maybe you don’t appreciate anyone and as such no one appreciates you. Or you’re just cheap. Who knows. Rock on. :)
Mod edit.

There are other ways to show that you appreciate someone. Referrals are my favorite as an instructor (which I have received), as that means they found value in the course that I taught them. Same with instructors whose courses I have taken. Every instructor for whom I've given a referral have greatly appreciated it. Or even "thank you for a great class." That isn't enough? Maybe I'm not as obsessed with money as you, that verbal expressions of appreciation and referrals are more than satisfactory for me as an instructor. For you, I guess not.

As I said before, tipping culture is getting out of hand and there are lots of people who provide services who never receive tips.

I am rather surprised at some of hostility towards tippers. If you don’t want to tip, don’t. I tip and tip well or I don’t tip at all. Better service and/or enjoyment results in a tip. Blah or terrible service doesn’t.

I guess I just figure that what goes around comes around. I believe that generosity is the key to wealth. So I’m generous. I’m also wealthy. One happened before the other. If you know, you know.

I am rather surprised at some of hostility towards tippers. If you don’t want to tip, don’t. I tip and tip well or I don’t tip at all. Better service and/or enjoyment results in a tip. Blah or terrible service doesn’t.
Who has been hostile towards tippers? Some are against the practice. But because I don't believe in it for scuba instructors I've been called a sh!tty instructor, cheap,, and unappreciative. Just one person's opinion, but I think the hostility is towards people who don't. That's at least how I read the thread.

It isn't possible for me to care less what others do. None of my business just as what I do is no one else's.

Maybe hostile is the wrong word. Just seems like some feel like tipping is almost offensive. Just my take on it.
There is nothing wrong with tipping people or buying dinner when you were happy with their service.

Do as you please. I dont see this as a "group think" topic. I find the stronger opinions somewhat humorous, not like the person asked about having sex with their instructor.

Why should I?
I had never ever bought anything for my academic teacher/lecturer, driving instructor etc etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom