Do you tip your instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had never ever bought anything for my academic teacher/lecturer, driving instructor etc etc.
In many countries academic teachers, diving instructors make pretty good money. Instructor and guides, people waiting tables etc. don't.
Typically, it's low paying service jobs were people tip or receive tip. I'm happy to tip somebody when I feel they did a good job. You don't have to. I might not be a thing in Hong Kong but in other places it is. There is a cultural aspect to it too.

Some of you guys are hella stingy. Travel overseas to go fancy schmancy scuba diving and can't give a kid in a restaurant or the cab driver a couple of bucks. Really?

I am rather surprised at some of hostility towards tippers. If you don’t want to tip, don’t. I tip and tip well or I don’t tip at all. Better service and/or enjoyment results in a tip. Blah or terrible service doesn’t.
This thread isn't about tipping in general, and I don't perceive hostility in this thread toward tippers or tipping in general. This is specifically about whether to tip your dive instructor. To me, that's a huge distinction. I believe it isn't a good idea for college professors to receive tips for the same reasons. We're talking about a person who evaluates others for a grade or qualification. I tip my restaurant servers, taxi drivers, baggage handlers, guides, and others who don't hold any sort of power over the people they serve.

This is specifically about whether to tip your dive instructor. To me, that's a huge distinction. I believe it isn't a good idea for college professors to receive tips for the same reasons.
You're comparing something like a university professor to a scuba instructor? Scuba diving is a super easy to learn hobby that hardy requires any skill to teach. A professor has gone through years and years of full time work, study and competition and teaches on a way higher level. You're getting paid pretty good money for this, at least in Europe.

Maybe hostile is the wrong word. Just seems like some feel like tipping is almost offensive. Just my take on it.

I've heard that in some countries tipping is indeed perceived as offensive. That's not my opinion.

I've nothing against the principle of tipping.

I've practical issues with a tipping culture so baroque that this thread is needed for the people living in that culture. Now think about the outsiders.

I've moral issues with employers paying so little that their workers depend on tips to live.

I've ethical issues with tippings some people. There are circumstances where the boundary between tipping and corruption is narrow. Instruction is one of these circumstances, there is a reason for which jury with external people are the norm for some evaluations.

You're comparing something like a university professor to a scuba instructor? Scuba diving is a super easy to learn hobby that hardy requires any skill to teach. A professor has gone through years and years of full time work, study and competition and teaches on a way higher level. You're getting paid pretty good money for this, at least in Europe.
In the aspect of this thread, where he is taking a DM course, I would agree with you.
For many technical courses, the instructor you seek out has spent many many years perfecting that skill and taken many classes to learn various teaching techniques.
There is always another side to everything. I had high level professors in college and some with that were horrific. The same gamut is ran within the diving ranks.

I do tip instructors, DM, boatmans and other people doing the good job and contributing to my education or dive trips. This is important in many low income countries. I even put some funds as “education fund” for some DM’s or wannabe DM’s in order to help them to grow. I sometimes buy them some simple dive equipment. As long I can afford and the other party is not offended, i have no issue to tip.

As an instructor, my perspective is that tips from students are never expected, solicited, or hinted at—but they are appreciated if they happen.

The most common form of tip is for students to pick up the cost of lunch when we complete the paperwork and I give them “the talk” on how to use their certification responsibly. I assume I’m paying for my meal unless someone offers.

Perhaps half of my students choose to give a cash/Venmo/Zelle tip. The amounts range from $10 on up. I just certified a father-son duo who flew down from up north just for the four OW dives. They tipped $50 for the two days. That’s a bit above average.

The percentage of students who tip me may be higher than for some other instructors because I generally teach only private or semi-private lessons.

The biggest tip I ever received was $400 plus a nice dinner for my wife and me—from a very prosperous and friendly couple whose schedule had required several adjustments to our calendar. I pocketed the tip without looking at it and didn’t realize how extravagantly generous it was until I got home.

If we do OW 3 & 4 from a boat, I tell them to tip the DM and suggest an amount.

It's an analogy, not a comparison. And don't tell me "scuba diving is a super easy to learn hobby," as it depends on which course. I have struggled with a couple of courses, requiring me to continue practicing on my own time, getting help on the side from instructors and mentors, and eventually going back and earning the certification. I agree there are some scuba courses that are practically ridiculed as super-easy fluff, but the instructors who teach those courses generally teach more challenging courses as well. It could get a bit muddled if the practice is to tip them for the Fish ID course but not the DM certification. Your point about university professors being paid well also reminds me that dive instructors who are paid fairly for their time as true professionals--and many are not--may be less likely to care about tips.

For many technical courses, the instructor you seek out has spent many many years perfecting that skill and taken many classes to learn various teaching techniques.
Yeah, but time spend was in their free time because they wanted to dive and than became instructors later down the road.
Even tech instructor give classes that maybe go over week. There is not that much to learn in any technical class compared to something like a degree in mechanical engineering that takes 4 years of full time studying. Let alone being a professor.
Tec divng is still just diving, IMHO. You won't find many people who develop new engine components as side hustle on weeksends.

to OP

Yes, but with lunch, a custard flan, and/or a bottle of his/her favorite spirit.
Why you may ask? Because we developed a good friendship and he was my instructor for OW, AOW, RES, and MSD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom