Do you think lights are over priced?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think overprice or not is quite relative. For an open water recreational diver, a canister light is probably overprice. DRIS1000 can do a lot for a fraction of the cost.

However, consider tech divers or cave divers. They spend time planning and training a exploration dive, spent hundreds of dollars to fill their tanks, spent thousands on other gears, spent more money to drag all their gears to the site. If you were at that situation, will you get into water with a $100 eBay light that claims to be 4000LM and 10hr runtime on a few 18650 batteries, or you will pick something from LM or Halcyon, which are proven working in the most severe condition. The truth is that as much as we feel a canister light is expansive, in the grant scheme of this kind of diving, they are just not that expansive.

Reactions: Tug
Is the original question directed to canister lights or recreational diving lights? I mean, considering that as much as dive lights in general are a niche product and can't benefit from economies of scale the way consumer products can, canister lights are even MORE of a niche product. No doubt they are expensive to manufacture. Much tec diving gear is expensive for that reason.

I agree with you... and one day I'll have a can. Until then, what I do is use EMT sheers on my webbing to wrap my long hose around. I put a boltsnap on my DRIS and attach it to the bungee webbing on my highland "tech" compass. If I drop the light, I don't lose it. Yes I do have to "hold" the light in my hand but that doesn't bother me.

Still, I'm sure one day I'll actually pony up on a good canister deal and I'll wonder why I ever did it this way. Until then, it works for me and it's CHEAP. :)

funny, when not using my can light, I put EMT shears on my waist belt for exactly the same reason :)

---------- Post Merged at 08:47 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:43 AM ----------

I think overprice or not is quite relative. For an open water recreational diver, a canister light is probably overprice. DRIS1000 can do a lot for a fraction of the cost.

However, consider tech divers or cave divers. They spend time planning and training a exploration dive, spent hundreds of dollars to fill their tanks, spent thousands on other gears, spent more money to drag all their gears to the site. If you were at that situation, will you get into water with a $100 eBay light that claims to be 4000LM and 10hr runtime on a few 18650 batteries, or you will pick something from LM or Halcyon, which are proven working in the most severe condition. The truth is that as much as we feel a canister light is expansive, in the grant scheme of this kind of diving, they are just not that expansive.

I think most tech and cave divers would consider it, however not until they tested the light on some non-technical/non-cave dives for function and did a full burn test.

I'm considering a DRIS 1000 as a second backup light, will mostly see low to no viz conditions. Can you offer any experience on how it compares to one of the 3C LED Scouts and to a 21W HID?

Here they are side by side in one of our local lakes. Halcyon 21w HID and DRIS 1000 lumen.

Nov 7, 2012 7:41am | Facebook

For the sake of size, I shortened the length of the video, but I think this will provide a decent comparison. I made the video public on our dive club page. So, unless I am mistaken, it can be seen without even having a FB account.

Here they are side by side in one of our local lakes. Halcyon 21w HID and DRIS 1000 lumen.

Nov 7, 2012 7:41am | Facebook

For the sake of size, I shortened the length of the video, but I think this will provide a decent comparison. I made the video public on our dive club page. So, unless I am mistaken, it can be seen without even having a FB account.
I think the clear winner is the Halcyon but with that price difference I'd buy the DRIS. The color difference is the dramatic factor (and why my photos look like crap compared to other folks--photographer skill couldn't have anything to do with it) and why people will generally prefer the more expensive lights, if they can afford them. The cheaper ones work, though, there's no question about it, and they get us in the water, which is the point, right?

Just bought the DRIS 1000 on line today and hope to get it in a week or so. If I upgrade, it will be a great backup/2nd light.

That's proof enough for me to use it as a 2dary light, much better focus and punch than the 3C cell H LED Scout. Thanks Cyprian!

That's proof enough for me to use it as a 2dary light, much better focus and punch than the 3C cell H LED Scout. Thanks Cyprian!

No problem. That is exactly what I use it for (backup). Both the lights in the video are mine. I had my teammate holding the DRIS for the comparison as I was curious myself. :)

Bottom line. Yes if you look at materials vs price they are expensive. As everyone has eluded to though, it's supply an demand. I can sell at 15% margin if I push 500,000 units. There's just not the market.

It's like my other hobbies. Niche markets pay for their gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom