Do you think lights are over priced?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

without hijacking the thread... then what light do you believe is a reasonably priced light as your primary dive light?

The DRIS 1000 lumen light is a great primary light that will not break the bank! I also have DRIS 500 lumen that is now my back up and that was priced even lower than the 1000. Both will work as primary lights.

i agree that most backup lights are overpriced (i.e. the non-canister and non-video lights).. i just bought a couple for $34 and they outperform my 60$ and my instructors $100+ dollar lights... and they have more features :O

what extra features do they have?

In a primary light, I think I only need a nice tight beam and an on/off switch. Is there something else I should be looking for?

Check out MagiShine. They're Chinese made, but you can get 1000 lumens for $100. They're cheaper than what it would cost to make your own. The build quality isn't as good as the American made lights, but the price is MUCH less. I've been very happy with mine so far.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

what extra features do they have?

In a primary light, I think I only need a nice tight beam and an on/off switch. Is there something else I should be looking for?

i dont know what you should be looking for it depends on your environment..

i bought a couple trustfire tr-j1's for 34.50 per... its very bright and has variable power (which is good for my environment.. clear tropical waters... at night in those types of water brighter is not always better)... and sos as also good to have to (not a must have but nice neways)

Check out MagiShine. They're Chinese made, but you can get 1000 lumens for $100. They're cheaper than what it would cost to make your own. The build quality isn't as good as the American made lights, but the price is MUCH less. I've been very happy with mine so far.

they use the same LED as the trustfire, but the trustfire's are 1/3rd the price

The price only "needs" to come down when they aren't selling.
you are obviously not understanding my post. the price needs to come down because I want to buy more and don't want to spend as much money. my post was some what of a joke.

The notion of "over priced" is more a statement of how you value and prioritize your resources than the actual value of a light. Purchasing a good light was one of the landmark decisions in my diving career that took my enjoyment of the activity to a whole new level. Putting a "price" on that moment would be challenging, but I've since bought the same light a couple of times (once for my wife, and again to have a back-up canister) and I'd happily do it again.

you are obviously not understanding my post. the price needs to come down because I want to buy more and don't want to spend as much money. my post was some what of a joke.

That's how I read it the first time,ie, I understood your post and got the joke. Just ****ing with you.

they use the same LED as the trustfire, but the trustfire's are 1/3rd the price

I hadn't heard of trustfire, but I see they're also Chinese made. I'd love to see a direct comparison of the build quality.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

LEDs are bright and getting brighter, cheap and getting cheaper, & that will affect the market.

It is hard to make an apples-to-apples comparison, though, 'cause of the varying specs quoted (lumens, vs lux, vs candella, etc.), different beam widths (and definition thereof), switching features, batteries, etc.

I'm very pleased with the DRIS lights & diffuser combination I hacked together, but frankly bought them 'cause they were cheap with the full expectation I might have to replace them with something "better".

That's how I read it the first time,ie, I understood your post and got the joke. Just ****ing with you.

Do not confuse me with your logic and humor. Lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom