Do you think computers encourage risky diving in new/ young divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seriously? I would not recommend that to a novice, but I certainly wouldn't have any problem doing it myself.

Yeah I guess as the title of the thread is... Do you think computers encourage risky diving in new / young divers?
Not sure what they mean by young divers? 14 years old?

Simply if I was with a novice or "new" they would be OW limited to max 18m depth and often diving at 15m or less. Yes there are AOW divers with no more than a total of 20 dives as well who may not have a lot of experience. I meet a lot of them who don't even own a dive computer in Asia. Personally if I owned a dive center I would make it mandatory that all divers rent a dive computer if they don't own one. Also a pre dive briefing can certainly explain what NDL is and what the dive centers policy on how much NDL time they should have at a minimum, such as 5 minutes or more.

I do feel that sometimes the threads get off topic as people here are generally diving a lot or are more experienced we do not really see many novice divers on the forums here. Sometimes the discourse starts with a simple title like the one for this thread, but soon people are then discussing exceeding NDL, deep dives, deco dives, tech dives, using re-breathers and everything else that a new diver is not doing.

I wonder if the introduction of the SPG as a replacement for the J-valve brought about the same discussion of allowing people to push their air supply to its limits, encouraging riskier behavior. :wink:
So, basically the introduction of any new concept, piece of gear, etc. brings up the same discussion.

I wonder if the introduction of the SPG as a replacement for the J-valve brought about the same discussion of allowing people to push their air supply to its limits, encouraging riskier behavior. :wink:
So, basically the introduction of any new concept, piece of gear, etc. brings up the same discussion.

Yeah, but this one is importanterer. more importanter.

I learned on and then dived a J-valve for two years before buying my own equipment, including a SPG. Since I learned and then dived a J-valve, I never thought of it as particularly risky though I would occasionally check to make sure the lever was still up. I would frequently dive until the breathing effort increased, pull my J-valve, and do my direct ascent to the surface.

I thought of the SPG as considerably safer, as I always knew how much gas I had left. I didn't have to check whether the valve was up :)

Seriously? I would not recommend that to a novice, but I certainly wouldn't have any problem doing it myself.
I'm dead serious. I don't think people are good at keeping track of time during a dive with all the other tasks and the "distractions" (you know, all the fish and all). If you want to risk getting bent or spend all of your focus on time/depth/calculations (doesn't sound like fun to me), have at it. I see it as normalization of deviance. Have backups or terminate the dive is what I would recommend to novice and experienced diver alike.

Chilling out at 25 feet, with or without a computer, should not be a problem. Common sense trumps following redundant electronics - for me anyway.
Lol yeah I don’t spend much time at that depth except for deco stops.

I'm dead serious. I don't think people are good at keeping track of time during a dive with all the other tasks and the "distractions" (you know, all the fish and all). If you want to risk getting bent or spend all of your focus on time/depth/calculations (doesn't sound like fun to me), have at it. I see it as normalization of deviance. Have backups or terminate the dive is what I would recommend to novice and experienced diver alike.

As a diver with enough experience/skill to now be able to push NDL on deepish dives (not held back by lack of gas), but not enough consistent experience at 3+ ATAs, I'd be ascending at time of computer death. I check depth and dive time a fair amount but if it had been more than a few seconds since my last check, I'd agree with @wetb4igetinthewater in that, I would not likely know if two minutes had passed or four or five. And if I thought it had been closer to five, it might have been eight or ten. I'm calling the dive. If I had a ton of air left, knowing me, I'd likely stay at a couple ATA to watch fish and finish at 500psi or boredom. Even at three ATAs I'd be heading shallower.

Quarry/reef dives at or about 2 ATA, since I am not running AI, I'll stay as long as I have gas. (This is the advanced section, not beginner)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom