Do You Solo Top Side Too ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I normally dive together with my wife or a buddy. I go solo only on special occasions and if I cannot find a buddy.

"I enjoy traveling alone, driving alone, and eating alone does not bother me."

Me too!! I love being alone, a lot of times I wish I was the only one allowed to drive too! :blahblah: pesky traffic laws.

But I am anti social so it works out

It is hard finding a date, but if I look at how much money I save that’s evens it out!!!:arrr:

It seems like we're all lonely wolfs...

I've been defined by several of my bosses as a one man army, I'm a computer programmer and IT professional, I work well with teams but I hate those company events that supposed to get us all together in a more personal level, its work and it should stay work, besides, no one dives in our office so its kinda boring, the first question on monday morning is "did you dive? how deep?", the right question should be "did you see anything nice", to that the answer should be "everytime I dive, I see something nice, no people". :D

I think all my hobbies are solo, diving, motorcycles, trips (the last one that involved other people was 3 years ago) and more..

This weekend for example, I spent the whole weekend reading diving magazines, reading books, new year (Jewish) dinners and that's about that, I think I had more people around me this weekend that most weekends, other than taking pictures of the whole event (another solo activity? ), I didn't do much.

I think a friend of mine said it best "we're all social misfits, that's why we like eachother".

I guess it depends on the activity.

Things that I enjoy like diving, swimming, running, cycling, skiing etc really require that you are very close to the same level if you want to be able to "push" together. Otherwise someone ends up "holding back" to satisfy the "social requirements". Which is fine but sometimes I need a challenge and for that I either go alone or find someone who´s willing to accept my "rules"...

There is something I think of as "formation flying" that I usually experience on techdives where everyone on the team just "flows". Tasks and communication are performed effortlessly, which I like as much/more as "doing my own thing", it is the in-between states with insta-buddies that annoy the **** out of me and make me want to dive on my own...

There are other activities that either aren´t as important to me or that are inherently social where I enjoy the company of others but I think that I too am more comfortable alone and need more time alone than a lot of other people...

SmileMon:
It seems like we're all lonely wolfs...

I've been defined by several of my bosses as a one man army, I'm a computer programmer and IT professional, I work well with teams but I hate those company events that supposed to get us all together in a more personal level, its work and it should stay work, besides, no one dives in our office so its kinda boring, the first question on monday morning is "did you dive? how deep?", the right question should be "did you see anything nice", to that the answer should be "everytime I dive, I see something nice, no people". :D

my manager says that I have a broken human interface :)

I have a great wife and an awesome crew of kids. When we have activities planned I am "fully" there. However, it seems a lot of the time around the house is spent solo. Yes, even though they are in fact all there in the house we may not be actively engaged in something together 80% of the time. I am training for tri's and if I am not doing that I am on the confuser in what my wife calls "The Enchanted forrest" playing an MMORPG. If it isn't one of those two I am in the kitchen, a place that my wife avoids at all costs because if she comes in it she might actually learn to cook and then be called upon to do so.

At work I can spend the whole day in my cube doing computer geek stuff that pays the bills and not bothered by another soul. So at work I am solo 99% of the time.

I always try to wrangle up a dive partner first. I am usually unsuccessful as the diving circle of people I know is fairly small. My usual "partners" are a couple and so when we trio things I end up solo in a sense anyway. Most of my diving is solo as well...

I suppose that all sums up a comment my wife once made... "You are the lone wolf type and that is one of your attractive qualities. Independance!"

Solo is good as long as you plug in to society once in a while too...

I like to go surfing alone, and diving alone, and on long runs by myself, but I don't feel alone. I feel like I am with everyone on earth all at once. Seriously, I feel more social when I am doing stuff alone, I pass by people, say hi, and keep going on my path, I feel more alone when I am surrounded by my friends, I think it has something to do with differences in life perspective.

One of my almost daily rituals is going to the local coffee shop, when there isn't a crowd, having some Chai Tea and reading the bible by myself for an hour or two.

I use to like to be around a lot of people, I use to love being around people, but as I got older I think I just beat out a different path for myself than most people around here, and it kind of set me off into my own little world.

I"ll definately go with solo. I've always been more content with my own thoughts (not to diminish anyone else's opinions or ideas, I pay attention to my co workers, friends, and family) It's just more comfortable for me. I have four children, two grandchildren and a wife of twenty years who will cancel out solo when life doesn't interfere. Interestingly enough, when the rare occasion rises that I'm in our home alone, there has to be noise of some type~ otherwise it seems unnatural. Beyond that center, I'm content alone. Jim

Hi Guys,
I am pretty much solo on the topside too.
I live alone, usually work alone, and when I travel, I go by myself, even with a group trip, I am still eating,diving,alone and doing my own thing.
I prefer it that way.
I am 33 and never married, and don't plan on it.
Be Safe,
Robb

i am shy/quiet and am not the life of the party so it is hard for me to make friends. It also makes it hard to find buddies, which is why I never got wet for 10 years trying to be a good diver who only dove with a buddy. I dive solo so I can dive, I can go slow or fast, stop for as long or short as I want, same as everyone else here.
I am single and always endup alone also.

Back
Top Bottom