Do you smoke

Do you smoke? I am talking about any kind of smoke

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ice9:
I smoke, but I hate it and I keep trying to quit. Ugh...
What were you having a nic fit when you dug up this old *** thread. Geez luis :D

RMichaelson86:
7. That isn't really correct. Again, it is all in the user's mind. It appears as if you are under the impression that nicotine is causing the problem. Anyone can stop any drug at any time. It isn't nicotine, it isn't the heroin, it isn't the coke.. it is the user.

Take it from someone who has had family members dealing with these problems for a long time.
That's a joke right, when you, not your family, have dealt with a chemical addiction personally come and talk to me then, cause you sir are full of it. Is that how you deal with your family's addiction, telling them "it's all in your mind, it's not the drugs it's you", if so I bet that's done wonders. :redhot:

shark.byte.usa:
What were you having a nic fit when you dug up this old *** thread. Geez luis :D

That's a joke right, when you, not your family, have dealt with a chemical addiction personally come and talk to me then, cause you sir are full of it. Is that how you deal with your family's addiction, telling them "it's all in your mind, it's not the drugs it's you", if so I bet that's done wonders. :redhot:

No need for the hostility.

Both myself and two immediate members of my family have dealt with addiction/substance abuse. Wasn't really planning on flat out saying that in my previous post. I dealt with it at age 18. Ever been to a NA meeting? Alanon? AA? Get to know the person you attempt to insult before you lash out.

If you haven't dealt with anything similar, I can understand that you would have a bit of a warped outlook on the matter at hand.

Let me clarify what I said in my previous post. I am not by any means saying that the substance itself has no grip on the users body. People do not repeatedly abuse a substance because of the addictive properties. Ciggs, maybe. Highly addictive, mind alterting substances, no.

Quarrior:
I looked at your profile and saw that you are a student. What are you studying? Anything medical?

Your comments have the ring of youth to them and I am happy you are able to see the world through rose colored glasses. I hope you never have to meet reality face to face.

I am a biology major and will be finishing undergrad/postgrad at USC.

"Rose colored glasses"? I'm not sure what you are referring to. If you want to have a discussion, you can start debating point by point.

RMichaelson86:
I am a biology major and will be finishing undergrad/postgrad at USC.

"Rose colored glasses"? I'm not sure what you are referring to. If you want to have a discussion, you can start debating point by point.
When you say things like:
Again, it is all in the user's mind
it's fairly obvious you don't know enough to have such a discussion. It's not just the black and white that you claim.

Kim:
When you say things like:

it's fairly obvious you don't know enough to have such a discussion. It's not just the black and white that you claim.

It is not simply black and white, I never said this.

Problems relating to substance abuse have little to do with the actual addictive properties of the substance. It is the mindset of the abuser. You can't discontinue the use of the substance until you are prepared to do so mentally, and until you have looked into why you do it. This is what I am trying to say.

If you disagree, go to a meeting. You wouldn't be having a debate with only myself.

pasley:
What I love most about smokers.
Is it their yellow teeth? No

Is it their ashtray breath? No.

Is it they way 95% of them seem to think the world is their ash tray. When they are walking or driving when the cigarette is done, down on the ground or sand it goes. No. I for one am tired of it. I applaud the cities and county of Los Angeles for outlawing smoking on public beaches. This law was passed in response to the large numbers of butts (cigarette that is) found on the beach.

Is it the way 50% of them smoke up wind (unintentionally I am sure) of me. No. I of course, like many (and growing due to exposure) am allergic to the smoke.

Is it the health benefits to others? No. Cigarette smoke (according to a recent study) doubles your risk for heart attack. This is true even for second hand smoke. Recent study of the effects of second hand smoke used blood levels of chemicals caused in the blood. Using this blood work they established that people exposed to second hand smoke had double the risk for heart attack absent any other risk factors.

Is it the attactive way my dad looked against the white hospital sheets ravaged by cancer and in incredible pain as he died far too young? No.

I understand why my father smoked. When he started they did not know better and the tobacco companies who did know the truth lied to the public and congress in testimony that cigarettes were not addictive or carcinogenic. What lie. But today, the truth is known, and yet people start smoking every day. Why?

Wow! I love this guy! I agree 100% and BTW, my dad is also a smoker and is also slowly being killed by his habit. He used to be a Navy Seal, one of the first, but now the closest he gets to diving is the oxygen tank he carries around with him ALL THE TIME so he can breathe.

RMichaelson86:
No need for the hostility.

Both myself and two immediate members of my family have dealt with addiction/substance abuse. Wasn't really planning on flat out saying that in my previous post. I dealt with it at age 18. Ever been to a NA meeting? Alanon? AA? Get to know the person you attempt to insult before you lash out.

If you haven't dealt with anything similar, I can understand that you would have a bit of a warped outlook on the matter at hand.

Let me clarify what I said in my previous post. I am not by any means saying that the substance itself has no grip on the users body. People do not repeatedly abuse a substance because of the addictive properties. Ciggs, maybe. Highly addictive, mind alterting substances, no.
PM sent

Why the tread highjack? The issue at hand is do you smoke.
I used to but I recently quit and feel so much better now. Its a matter of quitting and meaning the quit. Until you mean it and want it, it won't stick. Period. Use a support system and don't take ONE puff to make you feel better, in the long run it will hurt you and your effort to quit.

RMichaelson86:
It is not simply black and white, I never said this.

Problems relating to substance abuse have little to do with the actual addictive properties of the substance. It is the mindset of the abuser. You can't discontinue the use of the substance until you are prepared to do so mentally, and until you have looked into why you do it. This is what I am trying to say.
There are two problems with smoking - a physical addiction, and a mental brainwashing. Part of what needs to be addressed is certainly the mind, but it's not the whole story. Smoking is not a usual addiction. It's very hard to say 'why' you do it as it gives you nothing actually. Even those who claim it 'relaxes' them (which I did for years) don't really see that the apparent relaxation effect that happens is purely as a result of the nearly imperceptible nicotine craving being temporarily satisfied. Nicotine exerts a very subtle addiction and if you don't see it for what it is and how it works then most people will fail to stop using 'willpower' alone. Perceiving the problem as only 'mental' is an almost certain recipe for failure to become a non-smoker.

RMichaelson86:

yes. i agree with you. but this is part of the problem only. i think addiction can
fairly be broken into psychological (emotional), physical (genetic/chemical), and substance issues.

people are addicts for a reason. psychologically speaking, they are self-medicating for something. that "something" can be as simple as anxiety, stress, or insecurity, or as complex as a history of depression, post traumatic stress disorder, or childhoold trauma. some people engage in addictive behavior
as "thrill seeking," but again, this is really best understood in the context of
"why" those people do that; at root, the behaviour has a psychologica basis.

physically speaking, there are chemical and genetic issues as well. some people are
more prone to alcoholism; some people have so-called "addicitive personalities,"
which really means they are chemically pre-disposed to addiction.

from a substance point of view, there are substances that form their own dependencies with the body, such as heroine, nicotine, etc. you could be the healthiest person mentally or chemically, but take heroine for a month, and YOU WILL BE ADDICTED to heroin.

ideally, the way to break addiction is to address all three issues and not concentrate
on just one of the three, which can give you momentary results, but which will
have you back as an addict in no time at all if you're not careful.

the "easiest" aspect of addiction to break, imo, is the chemical aspect. you can
break a nicotine habit in three days. you can break a heroin habit in six to seven days, with the worst of it being the second to third day.

and yet, people go back to smoking and go back to heroin because they did not
address the physical or psychological components.

anyway... a difficult, difficult subject this is

Back
Top Bottom