Do you remove your 7' hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matts1w:
I switch back to the short hose when spearfishing as it gets in the way and there is really no one to share it with anyway.

have you tried tucking the excess hose into your waist belt/cummerbund?

also, though remote, there is always the possibility that your solo dive may end up with a non-buddy who is OOA tagging along, and you'll need to share

BUT i have never spearfished, so i am not exactly experienced as to it

H2Andy:
have you tried tucking the excess hose into your waist belt/cummerbund?

also, though remote, there is always the possibility that your solo dive may end up with a non-buddy who is OOA tagging along, and you'll need to share

BUT i have never spearfished, so i am not exactly experienced as to it

I do tuck my 7 ft in my harness. In fact, I really like diving the 7 ft hose, believe it or not, with my bp/w and my other BCD. It makes great sense in a great deal of situations.

When spearfishing it really does get in the way- I got enough crap going on in that area between a stringer, flopping fish, crawling up under a ledge, etc.... If you saw the way we spearfish in my neck of the world you would understand why I dont worry about an OOA buddy tagging along- just aint gonna happen. Of course your DIR red alerts would be going beserk as you would find us doing it so very very wrong. (I mean that in a fun way.) :D

I use a 7' for doubles and a 5' for a single rig

As stated several hundred times - the 7' hose is needed for single-file air-share use only - any other use is due to preference only.

When I bought my first reg after certification I put a 5' hose on it. That hose is still there and will stay there.

When I went to doubles, as an experiment I put a 7' hose on my new reg setup. I do not intend to change it.

So, I always dive with one of the long hoses. I see no reason to dive with a short hose at all unless you are doing some particular kinds of PSD diving.

Plus, it is a big advantage to dive with essentially the same rig all the time. As a sometimes solo diver I have conjured up a couple situations where a long hose would save my most precious possession, Me.

Pick a length, 5' or 7', put it on and dive. You won't regret it.

If my money-growing tree hadn't of died last year, I'd have another reg with a 5' hose on it for single tank pretty reef diving as I do find the 7' hose a bit cumbersome on singles/no can light but not so much that I'd want to swap it out for a 5' every time.

all4scuba05:
Here's the scenario. Boat dive. 80 ft wreck dive. No penetration. No deco. Warm waters. Do you swap your 7' hose for a shorter hose or do you keep the 7' hose on? If you swap the hose, which length do you pick? If you don't swap, state reason.

Add my vote for staying with the 7'. I use it (with a short hose alternate on a necklace) with single tank (and doubles), warm water (and cold), no penetration (and penetration), BP/W (as well as BC), etc.. It is easier to use for sharing air in almost all situations, not just in confined spaces, swimming single file.

I use 7' hose on all dives except pool dives with OW students. NO need to swap it off - if I am not diving a can light, I tuck it under a pocket on my harness.

Well you certainly don't need a 7' hose for a dive like that, but I wouldn't bother changing my setup just to do 1 dive.

My buddy and I both dive with 5' hoses for single tanks, without canister lights. He originally had a 7' hose, but the hose kept floating out of the harness belt, so I made him change it to 5'. We've been quite happy with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom