Do you remember your first breath on SCUBA and how you felt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The first time was at Catalina's dive park. I always wanted to dive. We were there as one stop during a cruise for my birthday. Well on the pier was the local dive op with a big sign.."Intro Dive, $99.00" So I asked what do you have to do..."nothing, just sign here, pay your money and your instructor will be here soon". My sweet girlfriend counted out the cash (happy birthday to me) and we filled out the forms. Diver Dan showed up and we were off to the dive park. Well after getting into all the midievil torture devices, feeling like an astronaut from a very stupid planet, and walking to the stairs with what felt like the weight of the world on my shoulders....we dove! It actually took a few seconds for me draw that first breath. I had practiced on the surface a few times, I knew it would give me air, but it still took me a few seconds to muster the courage to inhale under water. I took that first breath, and it was AWESOME! Do I remember? Oh yeah, and I don't think I will ever forget. Hating all the gear, all the weight, all the hastle was all gone and I was hooked!

I felt like I was going to die. I'm not sure exactly when I got over that and got comfortable with it, but now, it's so relaxing to me to take that first breath under water.

Not really. I mean, it was last August during my first OW pool session, but I don't have feelings either way about it. Then again, I had snorkeled before, so the sensation of breathing with my face in the water really wasn't new, and I'm also a firefighter, so I'm used to the sensation of using a regulator to breathe in unfriendly environments!

I DO distinctly remember my first warm water dive, and how amazing it was to see blue water when I descended, instead of the green water I'm used to up here!

i expected it to feel amazing....but really it was just like breathing dry air......

I remember thinking...."Wow, this air doesnt taste like what I thought it would..." I also knew that I had just embarked on something that would be with me for a lifetime to come.

Walter:
I hated it! Those first breaths underwater were horrible! It was one of the worst experiences of my life!

AMEN, WALTER!! It was mortifying for me. We submerged in just a few feet, and Bill (my instructor) motioned with his arms for me to take a deep breath. I shook my head NO!!!! I popped up like a cork. It took several of these attempts before I got the nerve to breathe, and even then, I didn't like it. The whole scenario sucked. All I could think about was "he's gonna make me dive to 60 feet! He's gonna make me dive to 60 feet!" (I have a major tendency to project w-a-y out into the future :( ). The whole first lesson was awful (I started a thread about my getting certified a couple of years ago - I spent more time on my back in shallow water, like a roach on its back :shakehead.) It was memorable, to say the least. Even now, I can't keep my eyes open as I submerge. Seeing the water come up over my mask starts the panic, so I just don't watch. I'm fine with it now, and once we're under, I love it!! I am one of those people who would have definitely benefited from snorkeling first, just to get over that panic of breathing underwater.

Not really...it was in 1971!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom