Do you really need ditcheable weight when diving double w/ Backplate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jackknife

Reaction score
I hear that a stainless backplate allows you to have more weight when you need it with less weight on your belt. Allows you to sit more relaxed leaning towards your back on the surface, without the need for tank weights.

But then again with all that weight that is non-ditcheable, what do you do if you need to do an emergency swim ascent if all you are is neutral? In my case, I would have some weight to ditch, potentially about 6 lbs. But I hear some guys don't use any ditcheable weight when they use this setup. I find that interesting.

Double 80s in a 3mm suit I use a SS plate and a cut off V-weight that's about 4 lbs. 10 lbs ain't gonna change wether I can get to the surface or not.

The chances of having to do a ESA are remote at best as I am redundant and so is my buddy.

WW

Would this happen? Or do you still need tank weights to affect better trim?

I use dual 104's with a dry suit in the Northeast. I stuff 4 lbs near the lower bolt to help with trim. No ditchable weight.

I agree with WW. I'm fully redundant and so are both of my buddies. It is relatively unlikely that I would ever need to do an ESA. I also question whether it would be particularly survivable as it would probably mean blowing off deco stops the entire way up.

As for your other question, no tank weights are needed. If I start to pitch over on my face (which doesn't really happen in doubles), I raise my knees and it straightens me out.

I love being redundant :)

That way I have more time to go diving.

Honestly, the idea of having no ditchable weight bothers me. But I don't have deco stops to worry about, and I dive wet so the backup of the drysuit inflator is not available. Of course, having a bunch of weight in one place (belt or Zeagle rip cord) and then ditching it all is asking for injury.

Well, it sounds fine. But I don't see myself doing any serious wreck, or cave diving. I do occasionally like to go deep to check out a wreck externally or minor penetration like going through and coming out, or checking out whats down deep, but nothing too serious. Just want to extend my dives by diving doubles and want to know how to setup up my weight system properly. I should mention also that no serious length deco stops are ever intended either.

I use a drysuit, AL backplate, and LP104's and do not need any additional weight. In fact, I'd like to lose some weight, but there's nothing to get rid of (okay, I'm talking strictly scuba here!).

Jackknife once bubbled...
Well, it sounds fine. But I don't see myself doing any serious wreck, or cave diving.

That also answers your question to a degree. If you are in an overhead environment, ditching weight wouldn't matter anyway. If you dive a BP/wing and twins you also dive a rig with redundant systems: wetsuit and dual bladder or dry suit and single bladder and always have your lift bag and reel (with enough line to reach the surface) with you for assisting in an ascent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom