Do you really need a liveaboard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do 3/2 LOBs from AO Nang to Hin Deng Hin Muang or 3/2 LOBs to Bon, Tachai and 3/2 LOBs to Sims/Richelieu with the emphasis on Richelieu as while doubling up on Bon and Tachai they're not sites I turn my nose up doing more than once - good diving.

Now for someone to scratch all the 'fillers' and come up with a LOB doing just those sites would be "the best if thailand"

Unfortunately a private staff and friends boat sorry - have had many messages asking same question - perhaps some savvy LOB op in Thailand will add it to a standard route for paying guests.

Unfortunately a private staff and friends boat sorry - have had many messages asking same question - perhaps some savvy LOB op in Thailand will add it to a standard route for paying guests.
Thanks, that's too bad. I was looking for something a bit different to in the beginning of January. I understand why most boats do the standard 4D/4N Similans/Koh Bon/Richelieu liveaboards, but I wish there was someone doing something different to offer some variety to repeat visitors. I guess there are not enough of us to make it financially interesting.

It sounds like if you had a boat and ran this itinerary, you could laugh all the way to the bank. :wink:

It sounds like if you had a boat and ran this itinerary, you could laugh all the way to the bank. :wink:
There have been quite a few attempts at this itinerary, nothing really successful. Personally I think these trips are slowly getting more attractive, so some time in the not so distant future they will start taking off.

There have been quite a few attempts at this itinerary, nothing really successful. Personally I think these trips are slowly getting more attractive, so some time in the not so distant future they will start taking off.

@Wingy was not the cruise director sharing her stories over a beer post-dive, that’s why.

In all seriousness, I hope it does eventually take off. It sounds great!

Lol - a beer? I only drink from fresh green coconuts straight from the tree. One Brave soul agreed to come and do a LOB in Thailand with me and ended up gone for a month in East Africa - I wouldn't let me direct anything.

I've mentioned several times to a few different people that there is a demand but so far .... no takers. There's obviously an economic reason no one has picked up on industry demand changing but seriously Thailand....when did you last add anything new to itineries? Burma Banks/Merguiis doesn't count either.

Perhaps that's the flaw - LOB Routes seem set in stone, Sims, Richelieu, Koh Bon - See, You see, best in world! now like massage? Have suit made?

Racha Noi is the Bangla Road of the ocean.

Back to the original question. I agree with Steven L, the best 3 sites in Thailand are Hin Mouang+Hin Daeng and Richelieu Rock.

None of them are reachable by dayboat from Phuket. HD/HM is reachable from the island Kho Lanta situated south of Phuket by dayboat and Richelieu is reachable by dayboat from Kao Lak on the mainland north of Phuket.

Quite long day trips however and a liveaboard will give you more, especially in the Richelieu area as there are a handful other nice sites like Ko Tachai/Bon and to the south in the Similans.

EDIT I see that Stevens shop arrange dayboats from Phuket to Richelieu. I didn't think that was possible. That must be speed boat, not fun if sea is just a little rough. Or very fun depending on what your idea of fun is.

Last edited:
Back to the original question. I agree with Steven L, the best 3 sites in Thailand are Hin Mouang+Hin Daeng and Richelieu Rock.

None of them are reachable by dayboat from Phuket. HD/HM is reachable from the island Kho Lanta situated south of Phuket by dayboat and Richelieu is reachable by dayboat from Kao Lak on the mainland north of Phuket.

Quite long day trips however and a liveaboard will give you more, especially in the Richelieu area as there are a handful other nice sites like Ko Tachai/Bon and to the south in the Similans.

EDIT I see that Stevens shop arrange dayboats from Phuket to Richelieu. I didn't think that was possible. That must be speed boat, not fun if sea is just a little rough. Or very fun depending on what your idea of fun is.
Fast catamaran, IMO more comfortable than speedboat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom