Do you really need a liveaboard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello to all,

A question about diving Phuket and the surrounding area. If your goal is to dive the best dive sites in Thailand, can it be achieved by staying on land in Phuket? Or are the best sites in that area only accessible by a liveaboard?

Many thanks for your replies.

Best divesites in the area: King Cruiser-Shark Point-Anemone Reef area, daytrips from Phuket, Ao Nang, Phi Phi, liveaboard from Phuket; Bida Nok and Bida Nai, daytrips from Phuket, Ao Nang, Phi Phi, Lanta, liveaboard from Phuket; Koh Haa and Hin Daeng/Hin Muang: daytrips from Lanta, liveaboard from Phuket; Similans and Koh Bon, daytrip from Phuket and Khao Lak, liveaboard from Phuket and Khao Lak; Koh Tachai and Richelieu Rock, daytrip from Phuket (limited options) and Khao Lak, liveaboard from Phuket and Khao Lak.

Really best sites IMO: Hin Daeng, Hin Muang, Richelieu Rock. For the best sites you need 2 liveaboards: one to Similans, Bon, Tachai, Richelieu Rock, one to the Southern destinations.

Last edited:
Best divesites in the area: King Cruiser-Shark Point-Anemone Reef area, daytrips from Phuket, Ao Nang, Phi Phi, liveaboard from Phuket; Bida Nok and Bida Nai, daytrips from Phuket, Ao Nang, Phi Phi, Lanta, liveaboard from Phuket; Koh Haa and Hin Daeng/Hin Muang: daytrips from Lanta, liveaboard from Phuket; Similans and Koh Bon, daytrip from Phuket and Khao Lak, liveaboard from Phuket and Khao Lak; Koh Tachai and Richelieu Rock, daytrip from Phuket (limited options) and Khao Lak, liveaboard from Phuket and Khao Lak.

Really best sites IMO: Hin Daeng, Hin Muang, Richelieu Rock. For the best sites you need 2 liveaboards: one to Similans, Bon, Tachai, Richelieu Rock, one to the Southern destinations.

So sorry but I am not sure if I understood this. Those names are very new to me so I have no idea. Would it be safe to conclude that while day diving from Phuket is always possible, you will not be able to see the best of Thailand diving unless you take a liveaboard? Many thanks.

So sorry but I am not sure if I understood this. Those names are very new to me so I have no idea. Would it be safe to conclude that while day diving from Phuket is always possible, you will not be able to see the best of Thailand diving unless you take a liveaboard? Many thanks.
I have given in my post quite a few high quality sites available on daytrips from Phuket: King Cruiser-Shark Point-Anemone Reef, Bida Nok, Bida Nai, Similans, Koh Bon and with limitations Koh Tachai and Richelieu Rock.

I have given in my post quite a few high quality sites available on daytrips from Phuket: King Cruiser-Shark Point-Anemone Reef, Bida Nok, Bida Nai, Similans, Koh Bon and with limitations Koh Tachai and Richelieu Rock.

My apologies. I think I understand now. It seems like I may have to take a few trips to Thailand and not just one :D

If you are staying at a hotel in Phuket ... there are day trips to several areas :
1. Phi Phi Islands
2. Racha Noi and Racha Yai Islands
3. King Cruiser Wreck, Shark Point, Koh Doc Mai.

The Phi Phi Islands day trips will do 2 dives at Phi Phi plus 1 dive in between Phi Phi and Phuket at Shark Point, Koh Doc Mai or Anemone Reef.

All these day trips include 3 dives.

These trips depart from Chalong Bay in the South of Phuket Island and operators will pick up from hotels at Karon, Kata, Patong beach areas. Some operators pick up at Kamala Beach and Chalong Bay / Rawai beach area. Best to stay at Karon or Kata beach area for these trips, just 10 - 15 minute by minbus to Chalong Bay.

There are also day trips possible to the Similan Islands or Koh Bon Island (just north of the Similan islands), but it's a long way for 2 dives and considerably more expensive than the other day trips listed above.

There are no day trips that I know of from Phuket to Hin Daeng, Hin Muang (these 2 sites are about 100km southeast of Phuket) or Koh Tachai and Ricchelieu Rock (which are like 150 - 200km northwest of Phuket or 50 - 100km north of the Similan Islands) and THOSE are the best dive sites.

Liveaboards - to cover the Similan Islands, Koh Bon, Koh Tachai and Richelieu Rock, most trips are 4 nights with 4 days diving and about 14 dives. Some 3 day trips are also possible. To cover the Similan Islands, Koh Bon, Koh Tachai and Richelieu Rock PLUS Hin Daeng and Hin Muang you need 2 trips and at least 5 - 6 days diving total.

In short, do a liveaboard. or 2.

"There are no day trips that I know of from Phuket to Hin Daeng, Hin Muang (these 2 sites are about 100km southeast of Phuket) or Koh Tachai and Ricchelieu Rock (which are like 150 - 200km northwest of Phuket or 50 - 100km north of the Similan Islands) and THOSE are the best dive sites."

We offer from Phuket daytrips to Koh Tachai and Richelieu Rock, and I think some others do as well. Yes, it is far, but it is also possible.

But liveaboards are awesome. Why wouldn't you want to go on one?
Agree, ultimate way of diving.
But some people get seasick (so better 8 hours than 24 hours on a boat), have family/friends on land they can't/don't want to leave alone, or have other reasons.

But liveaboards are awesome. Why wouldn't you want to go on one?

No disagreement there Chairman! I prefer liveaboards unless something happening on land is so interesting that it is worth a trip to that destination in its own right. If this trip happens for me and my son, then I will be going to Thailand to train Muay Thai in one of their training camps. I was wondering if I could do day dives on my off days but would that mean returning from one of the worlds top diving destinations without getting a taste of the best diving that place has to offer?

Had it been a dive trip then there would have been no question what I would do.

Back
Top Bottom