Do you really get what you pay for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

timothyk

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a warmer water wetsuit (3 or 5mm have yet to decide which) and have a question regarding the levels of quality avaliable. While I do realize that fit will largely determine which brand I go with, I would like to know others experiences regarding quality levels vs price. I do believe that for the most part you get what you pay for, however with wetsuits the price differential between the basic and premium lines is quite severe. I would be comfortable buying the top of the line version if quality wear and feature sets made the investments worthwhile, but if not i would prefer not to spend if there is little real benefit. Any opinions?

As you said, with masks and wetsuits particularly, a cheap one that fits well will be much better than an expensive one that doesn't

Having said that, a good quality wetsuit that fits well will be better than a poor quality one that fits well, both in terms of function and longevity

I have three 3mm suits, a Henderson Neosport(cheap), Scubapro (mid) and Waterproof (relatively expensive). They all fit me well, and all work fine in terms on being comfortable both in fit and warmth (in 25-30 degree C waters)

The SP and WP have some nice features that the HNS doesn't, flat lock glued stitched seals, smooth skin on the neck/wrist/ankles, spine pad on the back zip, rubber grip on knees/elbows/shoulders etc etc

So depends whether you think those features are worth the extra investment

But fit is king; find the suit that fits you best and is within your budget with as many good features as possible

In the tropics I am happy with anything that covers my skin and fits. I have used lycra skins, which are cheap and comfortable, but aren't very durable. Unless you're really oddly shaped, you can easily get a well-fitting lycra suit. I used to use a neutrally buoyant Polartec suit, which wore out on me; it was not particularly cheap but I will get another one as soon as I see one on a store's rack--that was my favorite wetsuit. Right now I use a Henderson Hyper-stretch, which will fit most people off the rack and cost me about $150, if I recall correctly. As an aside, I have to commend Henderson for taking Scuba marketing to its logical conclusion by including "titanium" in the name of many of their neoprene suits and raising the price accordingly, without going through the charade of adding actual titanium.

Since you are considering a 5mm suit, you are either more susceptible to cold than me or contemplating diving in colder water than I ever encounter. In my experience, as suits get thicker fit matters even more, and it becomes harder to get comfort cheaply. My 5mm is an off-the-rack Henderson and is reasonably comfortable, but my 7mm--which I long since abandoned to a scrap heap--was custom made and, in my opinion, well worth the money. Not because it was of superior quality--although it may have been--but because I could not have gotten an off-the-rack suit that fit nearly as well.

He's from Dublin so I'm guessing his idea of "warmer water" is what others might consider 'freakin' cold' :p

But yes, fit gets harder as the suit gets thicker, no doubt - especially if you're not what the suit-makers consider a 'normal' size

The first 5mm suit I got, I purchased the same brand/model/size as a 3mm I had - that was a mistake :( should have gone +1 on the size

However, that's off-topic to the OP

As an aside, I have to commend Henderson for taking Scuba marketing to its logical conclusion by including "titanium" in the name of many of their neoprene suits and raising the price accordingly, without going through the charade of adding actual titanium.
:QUOTE]

:rofl3:

I am looking to buy a warmer water wetsuit (3 or 5mm have yet to decide which) and have a question regarding the levels of quality avaliable. While I do realize that fit will largely determine which brand I go with, I would like to know others experiences regarding quality levels vs price. I do believe that for the most part you get what you pay for, however with wetsuits the price differential between the basic and premium lines is quite severe. I would be comfortable buying the top of the line version if quality wear and feature sets made the investments worthwhile, but if not i would prefer not to spend if there is little real benefit. Any opinions?

Look at the Waterproof line, they have some really good quality stuff. The Panels are stitched not sewn on, meaning that minimal water gets in the suit.

I have a 5mm Henderson and a 7/6 Bare Velocity. I prefer the Bare, and it was considerably cheaper. I don't know how well it will last, but it is comfortable and warm at 60' in 50 deg F water.

Look at the Waterproof line, they have some really good quality stuff. The Panels are stitched not sewn on, meaning that minimal water gets in the suit.

+1 on the Waterproof. I have a Henderson Hyperstretch 3 mil, a Bare 7 mil, and a Waterproof hooded vest. The Waterproof, although pricey, will last forever. The Henderson is already on it's last legs. The Bare has been holding up great. Bare IMHO is one of the best values, however my next warm water wetsuit will probably be a Waterproof or perhaps even a Fourth Element.

There are demonstrable differences in neoprene quality. Rubatex is a manufacturer of neoprene that performs substantially better in crush tests to 200 fsw (cite: chamber demonstration by Wetwear).

See here:
Wetwear - Why we only use Rubatex

http://www.wetwear.com/chambertest.htm

There is certainly a question as to whether the superior performance/cost is relevant to tropical vacation diving. Thats a subjective conclusion that will vary from diver to diver. It may also depend on whether you routinely do 5 dives per day/night on vacations.

But the answer to the OP's question is that "yes, you do get what you pay for". A custom-measured and custom-fitted wetsuit made of a higher quality neoprene that does not crush at depth is going to perform better and cost more. (~$150-200 approximately) Whether it's worth the difference is going to depend on you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom