Do you prefer black skirt or clear skirt mask?

Do you prefer black skirted mask or clear skirted mask?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I started with clear on the theory that letting more light in would be good, but now I use a black skirted mask almost exclusively. I agree with some of the others that the clear skirt can be distracting. Side windows (like the Liberator) are even worse. If you get a nice low-profile mask (and I think the Big Eyes should qualify) you will be able to see well enough you really won't notice the skirt much at all. But I still have my old clear-skirt masks (one identical to my black one) to use as back-ups and I wouldn't hesitate to use them for any dive.

The false sense of openess created by a clear skirt is exactly that, false. The black skirt is better for a true view of what your eyes see. Both frontal, and peripheral.

I switched to black. Not because it is softer, or fits better, I do not think that is actually true. Silicone is silicone, whether clear or black. Silicone is actually clear in its pure form, the black is a dye that they add.

But with a black skirt there is less stray light glaring on the mask lenses from the sides. They used to sell the clear skirt as providing better vision, whereas you really cannot see anything through the skirt. The vision is much clearer I find with a black skirt, due to less stray light.

Everything is black these days. The only colour I have left is my blue custom reg cover on my SP G250. Everthing else is now either black or dark blue.
But that is good for us prentending we are Navy Seals or SAS divers or something. Looks cooler.

15 years ago things were neon coloured that faded to grey at 24m depth.

I prefer a black skirt- I have a SP frameless. I do have an old Mares mask with a clear skirt that I only use when I'm not wearing a hood, which is pretty rare. I like the black skirt, but I dislike the bandito look more.

Both.

Black for photography, and clear for everything else.

The contrast is definitely better with black. I also certainly am more peripherally aware (you see light/dark/movement) through the clear skirt, even if I can't really see it.

All the best, James

I switched to black and believe I can see better with it. My primary mask is a shadow and my backup is the SP frame-less. Black or clear is personal preference, as long as the mask is low volume, a good fit and purge-less, I'm happy.

I recently switched to black for photography. Used to think I'd get a bit claustrophobic in a black skirted (though don't know why, I wore them in the 70s when that was the ONLY choice). Boy was I wrong! I much prefer the black!

i had a clear, but then i forgot it. I bought a black and now im sold!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom