• No, I don't own an emergency oxygen unit

Votes: 65 48.1%
  • Yes, I own an emergency oxygen unit

Votes: 59 43.7%
  • Other, please explain in comment.

Votes: 11 8.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sourdough

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm curious how many divers bring their own emergency O2 to their dives. I've attached a poll, so please share about whether you own your own emergency oxygen kit.

And if you have any experience around using them, or situations where you wish you had one but didn't, anything relevant please share.

I'm thinking about getting one and bringing it to dives.

Something like these:

Reactions: OTF
If we go out on my buddy's boat I take my homemade one, has my tool box and spares in it as well.

Attachments

• 20220411_083800.jpg
    20220411_083800.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 80
  • 20220411_083837.jpg
    20220411_083837.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 79
I have one and usually bring it when I'm diving with a group or working as a divemaster. I think you'll find it's sometimes difficult to get it filled as there is reluctance by O2 suppliers, saying that you need a medical prescription. Not true according to CGA as long as it's marked "For Emergency Use Only by Trained Personnel". Still, they often refuse. A dive shop that does PP filling would most like be the best bet and probably won't give you a hard time.

I don't own one for 2 reasons. One is they cost $700 at the shop here. Also, my dives rarely exceed 30' depth, so DCS is virtually impossible (I know, other things can happen).
When I was an active DM I asked the owner to go over the procedures for assembling & using it. I wrote them down and still review them once weekly in my easy chair along with the PADI pool skills. I know it was taught--once-- in both the Rescue and DM courses I took. I'm not gunna remember how to use it 3 weeks from after being shown it one time. Like that CPR course thing I always bring up.

It's an "on the list" item, but one I feel I can do without for now. Tanks and regs pop up free or nearly so on a regualr basis and delivery devices are fairly cheap.

I put one together in the first half of 2020, triggered by Covid, but with Diving in mind.

Found a newish "E" bottle and regulator on Craigslist from someone who moved to a concentrator, filled at my LDS, masks/tubing from Amazon, packed in an EMS bag off eBay. < $200 all in.

Gets carried for local shore diving.

I basically have to answer "yea and no". Bottle is empty, and needs a hydro.... Also, currently saving up for a new manual valve mask.

I have O2, an AED, spineboard and first aid kit. Rational is I'm in my mid 50' s and tend to dive at my cottage which at least 30 minutes away from the nearest hospital. It's partially for me but it all could make a difference if anyone on the road (12 cottages most with three generations sharing them) needs them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom