• Yes and it worked.

Votes: 18 58.1%
  • Yes and it didn't work

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Nope!

Votes: 10 32.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately for them, the owner won't budge on full retail, unless it's dealer gear. What's worse, on a special order, is that they want all the money up front and it takes weeks to get delivery. I ordered on line for less than half the price and had it inside of a week. Having worked as a manager in retail, I pointed out that they could have ordered online, had it inside of a week, marked it up 15 or 20% and had a happy customer and money in their pocket. Well, after all that blew over, I still get air and various small bits and pieces from the shop. Unfortunately, for them, over the years since I have since used an internet LDS to buy several thousand dollars of gear, some of which they stock.

Bob
-------------------------------------
Not an idiot more than once, for the same reason.

Only once so far, their price on a pony bottle bracket was $50.00 higher than the same on the internet and they dropped the price down with-in $15.00 of the online price. Figuring in shipping if you buy from the internet, I don't mind paying a little more for some items, it supports them and I don't have to pay shipping or wait for the part.

Last edited:
I had some success but it was pretty much hit and miss. LDS price model seems to be a 100% markup and the only time it seems willing to budge is if they need the sale to meet quotas. I rarely even bother to shop at an LDS any more. Air, VIS, and odds & ends.

On a big purchase, I'll ask what they can do for me. For instance, I was looking to buy a couple of new steel tanks and asked what he could do for a pair for me. Came down $50 off his asking price for each tank. I told him to do it.

I think he's realized I make a lot more "impulse" purchases this way.

The LDS I use most of the time has a strange mark-up policy... I find some stuff to be very competitively priced while other gear has a really high mark up. I'm in the market for a drysuit and did some comparison shopping online and in town and he has been more than willing to negotiate. I also told him I was looking elsewhere.

I tend to research first and then talk and see what he's doing. He gave me a deal on the wetsuit I bought last season, for example. Also knocked about 10% off my regs. I bought my computer online (they didn't have what I wanted) and my compass when he wouldn't price match.

I tried, but LDS couldn't come anywhere close to what i was getting it for... and i couldn't justify spending that much extra...

Back
Top Bottom