• Yes and it worked.

Votes: 18 58.1%
  • Yes and it didn't work

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Nope!

Votes: 10 32.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never had to. My LDS usually gives me pretty good deals as he knows I'm a good returning customer who gets air fills there usually every week over the summer and early winter months.

Never. They take good care of me and I do what I can to help their business. The longer they're in business, the better off we all are.

Excellent customer service > cheap gear on the internet

I usually always ask about discounts or better pricing if it seems high. Most of the time I get a good deal, but maybe that's just because I have bought so much stuff from them over the years.

Mine treats me well and even when I dont get a discount on something, I dont mind. We all have to make a dollar.

Sent from my Samsung thingermajig using Tapatalk 2.

I've gone in and offered a shop what I have been able to do for myself on line, and asked them how close they can match it. Sometimes they can get close enough to satisfy me, and sometimes they can't. One of the LDSs I worked with seemed totally fine with this; the other gets a bit tetchy. I don't care. I am the consumer with the money, and the right to buy where I want. I think I'm being nice by offering them the chance to work with me.

I always pay cash and am in my LDS weekly for various things mostly fills and they take care of me and i do the same. if i find a deal on the internet ill give them a chance to match it or come reasonably close ill get it from them. Sometimes ill just pay more because i really don't want to wait for it to be shipped to me.

When I was living in my home country I was pretty upfront with the LDS and would tell them at what price I could buy it at online and would ask at what price they could offer, if the item was not too expensive and they could come within around 25% I was happy to give them my business if the item was more expensive i.e a regs set then within 10% would usually secure purchase. Now I don't bother as prices here in Japan are a joke and they'd need to, on big ticket items, more often than not cut their prices by more than 50% to be even close. DGX is my local LDS for sundry items and everything else I go global.

---------- Post added August 19th, 2013 at 05:27 AM ----------

I think you should add "Sometimes it works" to your poll.

Savings were minor. On other items I got gouged (blindsided with add on fees, lied to, ...) I've switched shops but the new one is way pricey so I get air fills, vis & hydro there. Equipment - well there's none I need or want. When I do it will be from the internet. I service my own regs, BC, etc.

I will ask if can get a better price on bigger ticket items. If I am asking I try to ask the owner of the shop and he will usually come down to price close enough to Internet price that I buy from him. On some of the smaller things I go to the Internet because either they don't stock them or the prices are double or triple the Internet prices.

Back
Top Bottom