Do you need to be an instructor to own a dive shop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have worked for a couple of different shops and the only place where I had trouble was working for someone who was barely even a diver. Running the shop they had no concept of safety, standards etc so we subsequently had a falling out. In my experience, being an instructor can help but as long as the owner is a diver so has understanding of the sport as a whole especially with classes and teaching it doesn't matter the qualification of the owner exactly. In your situation I would be a bit worried about why his license was revoked if that is the case.

It is still extremely hard if not impossible to imagine that 2 certifying agency would revoke both his NAUI and his PADI certification. The process is so complex, it would be hard to believe that even one organisation would revoke his instructor status, that having 2 revoking his status - would be almost unbelievable.

Not only is it possible but highly likely that both would revoke it. All members of the Recreational Scuba Training Council have agreed to share their revocation records with each other as well as the reasons for such. This way a person that is revoked from one cannot just go to another agency and get re-certified. In addition if you violate the rules that badly for one agency then you most likely have violated them for all the agencies.

With some of the poor instruction I've heard about, I really didn't think it was possible to get it revoked.
:rofl3:

If you found that out through PADI and NAUI, then I find it believable. Even if his status is "revoked" by either PADI or NAUI, I find it hard to believe that they would reveal it to you.

The PADI website has a list of instructors who have had their teaching status revoked. It's no secret.

It is often common for the Shop to be owned by Non Instructors especially with larger Shops..
The Owners do not teach classes they run the day to day Business and concentrate on making MONEY... While Instructors Teach Diving.. And Hopefully make a LIVING.
I Run my Own business and just make a living... BUT LOVE WHAT I DO..
Aloha Mark.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom