Do you need a dive flag for shore diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Nick27

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
There is a nice broken pier on Gasparilla Island / Boca Grande, and it is accessible from shore. The pier ends at like 500 feet and turns left to make an L shape. The depth there during a 4 foot high-tide is 20 feet deep and I dove there several times. Now I am thinking. Should I use a dive flag there? It isn't far from shore and boats normally don't come up to the pier. Like what is the rule of thumb when it comes to dive flags? Do you use them everywhere at all times? Or you need to use the dive flag only in certain situations such as when you are in the open ocean or when there is high boat-traffic?

Two factors to consider. First is the law. If you are legally required to have one... there you go. Second is if you need one based on conditions. If boats aren't "normally" there, that means that sometimes they are, and with an area that shallow, I would carry one, even if it wasn't required by law.

I have been both almost run over, and ticketed for not having a flag.

When I was almost hit, I was freediving in an area that was very close to shore (like 20 feet) in between the shore and several rocky outcroppings. A boat had no business in that area, but it didn't keep the guy from running though there at high speed.

The ticket was entirely my fault, and was a "here's your court date" ticket, not just a fine. The max penalty in Hawaii was $10,000 and 10 years in prison! I didn't find that out until I was in court (pre-widespread internet days), and the judge even asked the DA to repeat the max penalty. He said "Murders get off for less than that! How about 100 bucks?" I responded, "Sold! Guilty as charged."

Two factors to consider. First is the law. If you are legally required to have one... there you go. Second is if you need one based on conditions. If boats aren't "normally" there, that means that sometimes they are, and with an area that shallow, I would carry one, even if it wasn't required by law.

I have been both almost run over, and ticketed for not having a flag.

When I was almost hit, I was freediving in an area that was very close to shore (like 20 feet) in between the shore and several rocky outcroppings. A boat had no business in that area, but it didn't keep the guy from running though there at high speed.

The ticket was entirely my fault, and was a "here's your court date" ticket, not just a fine. The max penalty in Hawaii was $10,000 and 10 years in prison! I didn't find that out until I was in court (pre-widespread internet days), and the judge even asked the DA to repeat the max penalty. He said "Murders get off for less than that! How about 100 bucks?" I responded, "Sold! Guilty as charged."
Will keep that in mind. Yes the law requires me to have a dive flag in Florida, so I guess I will buy one, maybe make one.

Yes you need one by law in Florida. It's also very important for your safety. They aren't expensive. Most Florida dive shops carry them for $25-$50. You then also need a reel or line wrap. I see that you're 17 and I assume you don't have much disposable cash. I sure didn't when I was 17!! I have a line wrap and some line I don't use that I will mail you for free if you want it. Just PM me your address. I can get it in the mail on Monday 7/6. You'll then just need the float and flag.

It's one of these:
upload_2020-7-2_10-47-40.png

Yes is the short answer.

If a boat can get there it's a safety issue. Then there is the legal one. Remember a flag is cheaper than getting hit by a boat or a ticket.

Alright, will do with the flag.

I thought pulling a flag was a pain in the butt the first couple of times I did it but after a while I hardly noticed it. Don't forget your line. I once got to a dive site with my wife and somehow forgot to grab the line/spool for the dive flag. My wife was upset. Not wanting to miss the dive, I jerry-rigged a line using anything I could find including stringing 2 SMB's together but we were limited to 25 feet. That was a pain to pull. We should have just went home.

Here in Missouri, it is required by law. It often causes more of a safety issue than not using one, I have found.

ETA-I am not advocating doing without a flag.

DW

I was fired at with a rifle but I don’t believe the idiot that thought I was a seal would have known what a dive flag was either.

As pointed out, take one if it's the law (I figure most places it is since we have laws for everything nowadays) and/or there is a danger of boat traffic.
Some places (states, etc.) have strict laws on size/shape of the flag. New Jersey is one.
I always use one in Florida and Connecticut, where the above applies (I think it is CT law).
I have yet to use one shore diving here in Nova Scotia since the places I dive (during the week anyway) feature almost no boat traffic. Once in a while a lobster boat. To be honest, I actually don't even know if it is law here and other than our training float, I can't recall ever seeing a personal dive flag.
To avoid tangles I hold my "handle" with one outstretched arm and if there is current, I pick the obvious correct arm to use to keep the flag line away. Wind may also be a factor to consider.
I bought my flag in 2002 for $20 in FL.

Back
Top Bottom