Do You "Mix and Match"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have my favorites, but as I dive in extremely varied conditions, gear for cold murky fresh water and 85 degree tropical 100 foot vis water is not the same. One brand does not suit all needs. I do try to keep myself somewhat limited in variety, as it makes it easier to stock multiple spare parts with fewer drawers or cubbie. I tend to lose things so this is an important issue to me.
DivemasterDennis

Compass, SPG, knife, computer---Cressi
HOG regs
Oceanic mask, snorkel
Edge fins
Light-Intova

I tried and failed at exactly what you are asking. I don't see how it could be done by a regular diver. Something from another brand is eventually going to look, feel, or fit better.

When I first started buying gear, I thought it would be amusing if I could end up with every piece of kit on a dive being a different brand.. while I wasn't really trying to accomplish this, I have so far succeeded, except on night dives.

fins - mares
boots - aqualung
wetsuits - bare, beuchat
bc - zeagle
reg - scubapro
spg - hog
computer - oceanic
mask - hydroptics (technically a modified scubapro, oh well)
snorkel - genesis (when it comes along)
knife and dive lights - underwater kinetics
compass - it's my next purchase and going to have to be suunto

my fins match.
the rest is scrapheap challenge.

Amen Brother! An eclectic mix of whatever mixtures add functionality. I'm always tweaking my gear to make it more functional, streamlined, reliable,... Whether it is retrofitting my fins with spring (ahem, I mean bungee) straps, adding a D-ring, re-routing straps, adding a regulator swivel, ... Tweaking my gear is almost a sport with me.

Fins - Atomic
Booties - Akona
Socks - EVO
Wet Suit - Liquid Fit
Computers - Suunto
Compass - Suunto
Watch - Citizen
Gloves - EVO
Back Plate - Dayo
Knife - Atomic
Line Cutter - Dive Rite
Weight Belt - Omer
Wing - HOG
Lights - Intova and UK
Regulator - HOG
Octo - Sherwood
Mask - Tusa
Pockets - Zeagle
BC inflator - Zeagle
the rest of my gear is a mixed bag

Like other members I mix/match, cannibalize and pull parts from several brands to make a 'custom' piece of gear....If I can't find what I want, I'll make it myself..........Whatever works best for me....

Back
Top Bottom