Do you like diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Love it. Dream about it. Always planning my next dive. Think about my equipment. Relive my favorite dives over and over. Yep, I'm a dive junkie.

Do I like diving? Hmmmmmmm....Do I like breathing?....eating? Drinking?.....yeah, I like them all about the same.
When I lie down at night to go to sleep, I imagine myself lying on the surface of a pond in the autumn. I can see the gold, red and orange leaves in the trees above me, surrounded by a beautiful blue, cloudless sky. Then I slowly exhale, and feel myself slip beneath the surface. Slowly I sink, watching the sun and surface fade away to black. I feel so at ease, so relaxed, so........
And the next thing I know, my alarm is going off. Yeah, I like diving. When I get in the water, I go home.
C-Dawg

Fell in love with it from the get go. 15 years later and 1200 dives later my passion for the sport is as strong as ever. Its a great past time and a great way to travel and see the world both above and below.

Swampdogg:
It is an Olympic size pool, so a length is 25 yards...and I had fins to motor quickly, making it even less of an impressive feat.

And thanks for buying the book, I think you will like it, but let me know either way.

I happen to be reading the book now and I like it very much. It puts me to sleep every night (this is a good thing :) ).

Swampdogg:
50 a length, or a lap? The Y pool is 25 yards each way, (What I called a length) and a lap is 50.

Believe me, I walked it off :D

[FONT=&quot]Semantics[/FONT] :) there are 25 meter pools out there for competition. My old swimteam had one way back when until the new YMCA was built with a 50 meter :) surely increased the 50+ meter swims by taking out that extra turn.

The central point of this thread.. and the many posts here... make me feel very much "at home" and "understood". Many of my non-diving freinds ask about what I see diving here in Canada in cold water... I try to explain that while there are great things to see, and I do describe them, I simply like blowing bubbles. There is something about the peace and enjoyment of simply diving that really clicks with me.

I used to know Golfers like that - people who just love to hit a ball... and I didn't get it. I'd ask how they did on a round etc... and they didn't really care about the whole round... (obviously some seriously do.... but that is another topic) there would be a shot or two that were highlights, but then come back to the old line, "a bad day on the golf course is better than a good day in the office..."

Now I get it. Like so many people who have posted, I just like diving. The wildlife I may see - very cool, the wreck I see that not so many others will - also cool, but the dive itself is the thing. The feeling of soaring, but through water. Seeing a ridge rise up to meet you and fall away under you as you gently fin along... Got to be one of the closest things to what a bird experiences...

Yes, like so many others here. I like diving. Not the dive, not the wildlife, not the wreck (which all may be great) but diving...

TSandM:
I know, incredibly stupid question on a scuba forum, huh? But really, here's what I mean:

I love to look at interesting stuff underwater. I get excited about finding something new, or spotting beautiful nudibranchs, or seeing a huge octopus. It was fun cruising the wrecks up in Canada.

But really, I'm hooked on DIVING. I love hovering, absolutely motionless for as long as I can pull it off. I grin when I back-kick, and I'm completely delighted when we do an ascent drill and nail our stops. I love sitting in a light current and just letting it pull me along. Just being underwater, and the skills I've learned for moving myself around there (or not moving, as the case may be) is so much fun, I don't even really have to find much of anything to look at to make a good dive.

(Since I've spent all of the last six or eight dives practicing skills, I guess this is a good thing.)

Anybody else as hooked on the process as on the results?

I personally love diving - it's like AAA sex early in the marriage Anywhere, Anytime, Anyhow :)

however, I look at some of my instructor brethren, who only dive with classes or if they can make money by teaching classes and wonder if they have lost that spark - shame if thats true

Swampdogg:
It is an Olympic size pool, so a length is 25 yards...and I had fins to motor quickly, making it even less of an impressive feat.

And thanks for buying the book, I think you will like it, but let me know either way.

Olympic pools are 50 meters long; have been for years; only in the US are there 25 yd pools - somehow the nomenclatiure of Olympic sized pools has been *******ized and people advertise their sub standard facilities as Olympic sized - all Olympic swim events have been in 50 meter pools at least since 1932 when the Olympics were held in LA for the first time - don't know about before that

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_size_swimming_pool

TheHobster:
Olympic pools are 50 meters long; have been for years; only in the US are there 25 yd pools - somehow the nomenclatiure of Olympic sized pools has been *******ized and people advertise their sub standard facilities as Olympic sized - all Olympic swim events have been in 50 meter pools at least since 1932 when the Olympics were held in LA for the first time - don't know about before that

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_size_swimming_pool

I will take the hit for that one...It was my mis-statement and nothing that was advertised by our local YMCA.

Thanks for clearing that one up. It is a pool, and it holds water, and I love being in the water. On Saturday, I was booked to dive the "City of Houston" wreck off Wilmington, NC and it got blown out, then I was going to dive in the quarry, and my buddy couldn't make it, so I just went to the pool.

Back
Top Bottom