Do you have a helmet setup for Caves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cavemn

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
What do you wear for head protection and why?

TYPE: suspension non-vented helmet - Petzl Vertex Best white
USE: extra close in light, backup light storage, video, scootering

This is my first attempt. I bought a Petzl Vertex best. I did not get a vented thinking that vents would create a parachute effect in flow. On my first dive I realized I do need some kind of venting to eliminate air from collecting inside the top. I added two Intova compacts on either side to balance the weight. I also added a GoPro mount up front.

In the future I intend to add a camera light similar to the iTorch video light on the left side and move the backup light on the left to the right side for single handed operation and storage.

I'm also not so sure the suspension type was the best helmet. It might prevent hard impacts, but I don't think I can get rid of the webbing and still wear a mask.

IMG_0320.jpg

Nothing because it looks stupid and if I ever run into stuff so often on normal cave dives that a helmet is necessary I'll put myself in an intro to tech course...

Its easy to go hands free(lights) without a helmet.

What protects my head? VERY basic technical skills that were mastered in the very early stages of my tech diving education.

I can see they're use while sump diving.

If you're hitting your head scootering, get off the motor, and get out the cave.

Yeah, so no scooter yet, but I'm enjoying the jabs at cavers who were diving before you were born.
It may look ugly, but it's the best mount for the GoPro so far.

And the hands free lighting, well, it's something to get use to

...but I'm enjoying the jabs at cavers who were diving before you were born.

Yes, cave divers were busting up perfectly good cave before I was born.

Doesn't make it right.

I haven't ever used a helmet for cave diving, whether wearing backmounted doubles or sidemount, swimming or scootering.

I don't use a helmet, but then again, I'm not crawling around in tiny, unexplored sidemount cave or anywhere where I might reasonably expect big chunks of the ceiling to come down on my head.

In the really tiny caves... helmets just get in the way. Its amazing how much your body can contort, but not your head... and a helmet just makes that rigid chunk of bone even more cumbersom.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom