Do you have a helmet setup for Caves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nothing because it looks stupid and if I ever run into stuff so often on normal cave dives that a helmet is necessary I'll put myself in an intro to tech course...

Exactly, helmets are for rank amateurs like Martyn Farr and Jill Heinerth

41nnSw7lACL.jpg

Marty is a dry caver, thus the helmet.

While helmets can come in handy for carrying lights, that's really the only use they should have, not head protection. You may want to re-read the OP.

Martyn has done lots of wet caves too... I guess you mean that he carried the helmet habit across from his early caving days. Anyway, point taken that the OP asked about head protection & mentioned scootering as a use for his helmet (although he also mentioned light/camera mounting & storage too)

If "you" (meaning people in general) are interested in the preservation of caves and dont believe caver divers should wear helmets when scootering, or for protection (other than sumps), then perhaps it would be more beneficial to the environment if "you" tried explaining your rationale in less confrontational terms

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you wear for head protection and why?

Neoprene hood.

I'm not scootering and most of my diving tends to be slow and relaxed. The few careless bumps I've taken to my head weren't anything that my hood couldn't absorb. I rarely carry video and have no need to mount a camera to a helmet. I haven't run into a need to have helmet mounted lights and think it could be more of a drawback by causing me to blind my buddy if I look towards them, than it would be a benefit.

If I was dry caving or sump diving I might consider using one, but I can't see myself with an overwhelming need for it otherwise.

I don't have any issues with people using helmets or not. I personally don't use one, but there have been times scootering a long cave after a long dive when I've hit my head and thought about it. While Mother Nature didn't smile on my head retaining its hair, but she did smile on making it exceptionall hard (just ask my wife, lol).

If you need a piece of equipment, or believe it will help you in your dive, then go with it, IMO.

Exactly, helmets are for rank amateurs like Martyn Farr and Jill Heinerth

41nnSw7lACL.jpg

Don't forget Steve.

a6cd8ab5-eb24-84b9.jpg

Anyway, I dove this thing again and it's way too bulky and heavy. I feel like R2D2. I can't decide if the extra light is a plus or a distraction. On the plus side it's a stable platform for video and can be ditched in a tight space.

I think a rigid head strap of some sort with just a video light might work better. Something that doesn't flop in flow and isn't fixed to my hood so that it too can be ditched if necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wear a helmet in dry caves only. Then, the helmet is for protection my head from falling rocks dislodged by other members of my party, and protection in case I slip and fall. Neither of which is likely to happen underwater.

And when the passageway gets really tight, my helmet just gets in the way and so it comes off.

I can't see any need for a helmet for cave diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom