Do you get your equipment serviced....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FSUgly

Contributor
Reaction score
on a yearly basis? If so, which pieces? Whats the going rates to have these services?

Thanks for your replies...

FSUgly:
on a yearly basis? If so, which pieces? Whats the going rates to have these services?

It costs me about $250 - $300 p/year to get all my gear serviced....tanks, BC, and all regs. I always make sure to look over the parts to see what has been going on. To see if there is evidence of water in the first stage or such. I think it is very important to get your gear serviced annually. If you have a slow decrease in regulator performance you may not notice it until your gear is serviced.

--Matt

Well if I'm too busy to do it myself I have my wife take care of it.

It costs me a fortune to feed and cloth her but it does get me preferential treatment.

Generally we test everything out really well before a trip and tear it all down about once a year.

To comply witht he regulations is one thing
Regulator service 40.00
Octo service 35.00
4 tanks VIP 20.00 each
BC and other equipment 50.00

Peace of mind in knowning htat all will work as planned at depth PRICELESS

About $120 for my reg, air2, bc, and dry suit. Multiplied by 2 cause the spouse has the same equipment.

Absolutely each year for two reasons. 1. Its my life support equipment. 2. Scubapro warranties expire if you dont.

The rest of my equipment like lights, camera, and stuff get checked before each day of diving. I also check my hose connections, the hoses themselves, and my instruments.

One other thing I do is make sure I can breath thru my reg and air2 and the bc and dry suit functions as they are supposed to right before the dive. Sounds like a no brainer but there have been a whole lot of times that I have seen people who dont run through a pre-dive equipment check. They hook up the parts, check the pressure gage and then start talking to other divers about something. Most got away with no problems but on two occasions I have seen a diver climb back onto a boat because of reg problems.

FSUgly:

Since I am a full-time active instructor I usually service my gear every 4 to 6 months (nasty nasty pool water.) I usually do it myself however I always do it with the help of the shop's gear tech who has been doing it every day for thirty years.

I know at the shop I work for it's $15 a stage for the regs plus parts if it's not under warranty.

No why would I, it is only life support equipment. It cost a whopping $120.00 or so to service the stuff and a funeral is only $6,000. So save the money.

Seriously. It is LIFE SUPPORT equipment and not the place to skimp. I read in lessons for life section of one of the dive magazines this past year of diver who had equipment serviced, did a few dives and put it away for a year or two. He decided to save the annual service money as it had only been a few dives after getting serviced. Bottom line, a little rust in the first stage and his widow is now out the $6,000 plus for a funeral. But hey, he saved a hundred or so.

I am religious about getting my equipment serviced every 12 months or 100 dives which ever comes first.

MikeFerrara:
Well if I'm too busy to do it myself I have my wife take care of it.

It costs me a fortune to feed and cloth her but it does get me preferential treatment.

Generally we test everything out really well before a trip and tear it all down about once a year.

My wife is starting to express an interest in all the aspects of scuba as well. I used to do all the gear work, but now she wants to learn about it more as well. She is a wonderful wife. Nobody could ask for more. You are lucky too, Mike.

IndigoBlue:
My wife is starting to express an interest in all the aspects of scuba as well. I used to do all the gear work, but now she wants to learn about it more as well. She is a wonderful wife. Nobody could ask for more. You are lucky too, Mike.

Yes I am.

A lot depends on how your gear is used.

Way back when we serviced our gear every other week or more often depending what we were doing and the type of water we were in.

Now my stuff is officially serviced 3-4 times a year. I do most of it myself. But once a year the regs goes into the shop for an hour worth of rebuild and testing. We don't have the luxury of having something have a problem. It HAS to work 100% of the time everytime.

Tanks are always done in the shop.

If your diving a few times a year your gear needs a lot of attention. This gear doesn't like sitting around for long periods of time then expecting it to work at peak performance. Storage plays a big part in how your gear lasts. Store it properly and it will last a very long time. Wad it up and throw it in a corner and dive shops make money.

Costs depend on your equipment.
Our reg. rebuilds are under $5.00 each
Tanks in the $5-20.00 range depending if it's a VIP or hydro.
The rest we do ourselves.

It gets expensive for me. I have 15 personal tanks, 7 or 8 Reg set ups and lots of toys.

Don't cut corners here. If there is any doubt in your mind HAVE it serviced. Leave the tools in the tool box unless you are trained in servicing your own equipment. You may think you fixed a sticky reg and it works on the surface. BUT are you sure it will work at depth and that all the parts were replaced correctly?

Don't drum up business for me, have someone that knows what they are doing work on it.

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom