Do you get shots for travel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carldarl

Contributor
Reaction score
Probably not the right place to ask this but...

How many of you get the appropriate shots/immunizations when traveling to dive? With an upcoming trip to Belize for ten days we decided to since we aren't staying at resorts and will be exposed to morethings.

Just curious...

I keep all my shots up to date for any international travel and take malaria precautions when necessary. Check the CDC website for the country you will be traveling to.

I got a tetanus shot (actually the 3 in 1) before going to Roatan, but I was due for one anyways. I do want to get Hep A/B vacc but not necessarily due to traveling but rather as a general precaution. I also take the Malaria meds when traveling to areas where Malaria is present.

Ultimately the decision should be what makes you comfortable. if it's taking the shots or malaria meds, then by all means do it, no matter if other folks do or don't.

safe diving!

I have traveled A LOT because of work...mostly to Asia (Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia) but also to Europe at times and yes, I do make sure my records are up to date. It is a minor investment that could save some major problems.

It depends on where I am going. When I went to French Polynesia, I did not. I may for the Red Sea trip this summer.

As was said, check here: CDC

Other useful information is available here: State Department

This is a decision that I would not make depending on what people say or do. Your doctor should be able to tell you exactly in what location you need which vaccination(s) or meds (such as malaria phrophylaxis). Other sources like the CDC website should have that info posted, too. Be safe and great diving!

It's always a good idea to travel with the right meds as well, I take an anti-Viral as well as the shots. I would tell you you should have Hep A/B shots for even here! Food services and casual contact. The B for sure because you might get hurt and end up in a clinic with some minor surgery etc. Just a good idea!

Anywhere in Central America or Mexico you'd be wise to use a malaria prof. Places like Belize or Honduras would also call for rabies and tetenus. Another BIG problem in Honduras is dengue fever. Don't know if there's a vaccine for it but it can be cured. Anywhere in Africa or the Middle or Far East would include a Yellow Fever vac. South Seas islands? All of the above. And a butt full of gammagobulin wouldn't be a bad idea either. Hell, we've got cases of plague here in the US brought over from Mexico.

I've lived in 3 developing countries (Philippines, Malaysia and Belize) for the last 22 years and traveled and worked in at least a dozen others and the only innoculation I've had was Hepa A in 1986. Never had malaria. Maybe had dengue, not sure.

Thanks for all the imput. We have both already gotten our shots. I was just curious as to what others did. We also got them when we went to Hinduras a few years ago.

This time it was Hepa A&B (missed my third shot last time) Tetanus booster. Yellow, Typhoid, Malaria tabs, and 1 or 2 others. I'll have to look and see. I also ussually take a perscription of Cipro just in case I'm not careful enough with the water.

2 weeks and 2 days.... but who's cointing. :D

Back
Top Bottom