Do you ever read the ScubaBoard News Letter?

Do you ever read the ScubaBoard News Letter?

• Yes

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • No

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • I didn't know there was one!

Votes: 39 70.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is stuff under "eMail Optout / Removal Request" and also stuff under "Edit Options" (Messaging & Notification)

It's not clear if one takes priority over the other, or what? What I get (or not) doesn't really seem to jibe with the settings I have. I don't care too much and don't even want to spend time figuring it out, just pointing out it's hard to tell what you're setting.

Damselfish:
just pointing out it's hard to tell what you're setting.

this is my point also. people may be opting out of the newsletter because
the instructions are not clear enough

H2Andy:
well... ah.... lol

ok... but i already proffered it (last paragraph of my post that you cited)

just a suggestion ... if you guys think the text as it is now works, then great

:wink:
Ah, I see... but it can't work like that with our current software. We have multiple switches.

MAIN SWITCH= Get ANY e-mails at all.

Subsequent switches..

NewsLetter Switch

PM Notification Switch

Subscribed Thread Switch.

It's sort of like your house. If the Main Power Switch is "off", then no lights in the house will work, no matter how many times you flip the switch. Maybe we don't need this switch displayed? It's the thing that is causing the confusion.

shrswnm:
i would love to read it---its enabled under my options, but I never received it. Can you fix this problem?
barbara
It hasn't been sent recently.

NetDoc:
Ah, I see... but it can't work like that with our current software. We have multiple switches.

MAIN SWITCH= Get ANY e-mails at all.

Subsequent switches..

NewsLetter Switch

PM Notification Switch

Subscribed Thread Switch.

i see

ok... then the "main switch" text should be set to "receive" automatically,
and then let the users opt out of the various specific choices.

can this be done?

if not, then the "main switch" language should read something like:

Check here to give us persmission to send emails to your account.
You will not receive any emails by checking this box. You are simply
giving us permission to send you emails should you select any of
the options below which have email notification available.
(For example, should you wish to receive our newsletter, you will have to check
this box as well as the newsletter selection below; you will not receive
the newsletter unless you check both. We do this in an attempt to protect
our members from unwanted emails).

something like that

User CP:
ScubaBoard sends out a variety of email messages including a newsletter, thread subscription notices and other automated system messages. If you no longer wish to receive any email messages you may opt-out completely by entering your email address in the form below and pressing the "Submit" button. If you optout from ScubaBoard mailings you will no longer receive thread, private message or other forum notifications.

If you are having problems unsubscribing from any portion of the ScubaBoard website or from any email systems please contact us for direct assistance. Be sure to include the email address used with your account in your message so we may assist you more promptly.

Your Email Address:

I no longer wish to receive any mailings from ScubaBoard.Com.
Only remove me from ScubaBoard's monthly newsletter mailings, I still wish to receive forum updates.

It appears I can get forum updates only or forum updates without the newsletter. I can't figure out how to check yes to newsletters, but no to forum updates.

Walter:
It appears I can get forum updates only or forum updates without the newsletter. I can't figure out how to check yes to newsletters, but no to forum updates.
One way you can do it is to first opt-in to everything and then use Tech Admin's 'Handy Dandy Guide' to opting out of what you don't want here:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=86881

Kim, since you seem to be asking about how to improve outreach (and yes, I'm one of those who automatically turns OFF all options to receive newsletters from the dozens and dozens of sites that offer them to me), announce every new issue on the front page of SB, in the area where the published articles are announced, with a little blurb about the current issue's content. Then, if we are not registered to receive it, we can be sent through a link to change our settings--"click here to register". A "click here" option for the NL already exists on this page, but it's in the small print at the bottom. I've never read that small print until today, but I do notice the headlines in the articles box.

Back
Top Bottom