Do you Drink and Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A few pint’s are good for the soul, think I would worry more about being overweight and out of shape first… which I see A LOT of…

Nope...I've never had a drink and dived. I rarely drink on dive trips at all, however, if/when I do, I go by the pilots' rule: 8 hours bottle to throttle (minimum). I would not get in the water with anyone who had been drinking, either. "1st drink of the day is the last dive of the day", is what I was taught and it's a rule that could easily save your life or someone else's. To me, if you can't stay away from alcohol long enough to enjoy a dive day sober, perhaps you need to look at how much importance alcohol plays in your life and, perhaps, adjust your priorities (is that a tactful way of saying maybe you have a bottle problem??? Go to AA??? hahahahahaha!) Don't mean to offend anyone...just my 2 cents worth...
Cynthia

SStrecker:
Rootbeer is my pre-dive and SI drink of preference.

My standard SI drink is flavored water like Gatorade Propel if I've got my dive bag readily accessible and am carrying a bottle, or if I'm diving somewhere there's a bar right there, it's Cheap *******(tm) roll your own lemonade (glass of water, slice of lemonade, packet of sugar - NutraSweet dissolves better in cold water as there's less of it, but doesn't provide any actual carb/glucose content).

Failing that, lake water lacks sufficient salt or chlorine to prevent you from sometimes swallowing an accidental mouthful of it, and when in a drysuit there's just envy of males with p-valves.

I agree with Lobo. I usually start my morning dives off with a few blood mary's. For the afternoon dives I like to drink at least a 6 pack during my surface interval. It not only makes the dive more interesting I also can pee in my wetsuit to make it warm during a cold dive. Also all these people who don't even drink the night before need to loosen up you are on vacation...get out of the buffet line...:wink:

It seems like most everyone agrees that it is best to stay away from any alcohol consumption before a dive, but there are different ideas on drinking after a dive. In the Nov 2005 Scuba Diving there is a Lessons for Life article about drinking after diving. The dehydration that a person is concerned with during a dive is worse after a dive. Just when we need to rehydrate, many reach for a beer or some other alcoholic beverage. Alcohol while dehydrated increases the dehydration. It does not rehydrate our bodies. This increases the chances for DCS. If you have read the article, the diver also indulges in a hot tub. This only increased his risk for DCS. DAN has the right idea. Immediately after a dive drink water, eat, and rest after a dive. Save the alcohol for another time.

Our club is a very social one. We definitely enjoy ourselves on trips away. We allow ourselves alcoholic bevvies as soon as the day's diving is done. There are cases where drinking could go on quite late and you get the occasional diver who cancels his dive to stay safe. (Not great as I'd rather be diving). Mostly this is very rare as all our compressed air addicts love scuba and won't do anything to spoil a potentially fabulous dive. I personally enjoy an ice cold beer after a long day in the sun and the long boat rides back and forth. Always nice to sit and reflect on the days diving in a relaxing environment. As time goes by and we become more experienced we are always learning new things (Like all the info on SB). You follow certain rules and guidelines, i.e. hydration, sleep, not to over indulge. It also depends on you as the individual. What works for you to enhance your diving experience. We have all been trained and taught to always err on the conservative side as a safety precaution.

So I say, different strokes...
Always have fun diving, but always keep it safe.

I dive 100% sober as do the smart divers! Nor do I dive with anyone that has been drinking or has impaired judgement. What's the point when diving is such a high all by itself. Stay safe, dive safe and get the rush that this sport offers the natural way!

Dive trips are expensive and the underwater life so diverse that I always miss something that one of my fellow divers saw. Why impair that experience? I always dive sober.

I have drank alcohol prior to diving. Half the time I'm wondering if I'm going to get sick on the boat anyway, no reason to increase the odds by not feeling well going into it.

Cris

Back
Top Bottom