Votes: 23 14.6%
  • Seldom

Votes: 32 20.4%
  • Never

Votes: 60 38.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

learn-scuba once bubbled...

I'm sure being called a liar wouldn't upset you a bit. yes, I was offended and I thought I did a respectable job of maintaining a level tone and respectful response.

Fair enough. I'm sincerely sorry if you're offended.

If the story is true, then it shouldn't offend you much... You can just smile that I'm an idiot that doesn't believe the truth.

No, being called a liar has never offended me much. In the past, I've found it entertaining when I tell someone something that's true and they don't believe. The bottom line is that I know what's true and what isn't.

...If your story is true, then why let it bother you? I still don't believe it, though. So what?

No... the easiest way is to remove your BCD and use it like a float to support your head and lungs out of the water while you swim on your belly with the regulator or snorkel in your mouth to protect against splashing and oversloshing. Furthermore, lifting your lungs further out of the water makes breathing easier and the added height of your head from the water surface reduces the amount of splash you deal with. In addition, you have both better swimming capability, strength and stamina on your stomach than on your back.

I've never heard of such a thing. In all of my classes, I've learned that keeping your gear on is the best idea.

I still don't get what was wrong with the "lay back and kick gently" idea like we've all been taught.

Your incorrect assumption... not my advice.

Sorry, you were vague when you said to remove your gear, and didn't specify what to do with it after you removed it.

Try it and let me know how it turns out.

Been there, done that... Many times. Never because of a boat leaving the scene, though... Usually because of current issues or whatever. Sometimes, it's part of the plan even. It totally depends on the situation.

Whatever causes you to do a surface swim, however, has always worked better for me on my back in a relaxed postion - snorkel or no snorkel. I used to wear one, and I don't any more, because on my back I could see no benefit... And underwater all I could see was a disadvantage, especially in current.

Your mileage may vary. :)

Hey, regulators... Can we make a little emoticon with a dude waving a "BS Flag?" :haha:

As I said, I do a lot of beach dives. I wear a snorkel. Now, if my partner and I use the same size tank, and consume air at the same rate, I am going to be ahead in one of two categories.

1. I will have more bottom time.
They are breathing off their air supply on the way out, so they will have less.

2. I will effectively see more of the dive.
They are on their back on the way out, while I am looking at the bottom. Oh, look! There is a five-pound lobster! Does my buddy see it? No, they are on their back! Well, then hang on a sec. 'Yo, buddy, wait one sec! I need to pick something up.' Reg in, down, grab, bag, and up.

Lunch!

I'm not trying to change anyone’s mind. (Won't happen, this is a stubborn lot!)

Merely pointing out an advantage, as I see it. If you're undecided, this may be something to consider.

:tongue: I got a lobster, and you don't!:tongue:

PhotoTJ once bubbled...

:tongue: I got a lobster, and you don't!:tongue:

Don't go there. I don't see the snorkel being the problem... But the fact that you kill innocent lobsters for your own personal pleasure.

Sick. :eek:ut:

(Of course, I'm just joshin' ya...)

Ron Brandt once bubbled...
I wear a snorkel only when I am teaching a class.

Of couse if I were a GUE instructor I would not have one.

Ron

I've know a few instructors who do the same, how come??

Lotsa' folks advocate one...then again many also think it's perfectly dandy to dive without one! It's supposed to be useful like in a lots of situations say strong surface swells etc.

Problem is I REALLY REALLY REALLY hate having the thing attached to my mask and any so-called foldable, compact snorkel you can find is probably crap. I've been in what I consider to be rough surface conditions before and never saw the need for a snorkel. It helps to be a confident, strong swimmer more than having a snorkel in such a scenario I think :)

I dun envision ever diving in areas where the swells are like "Pipes" encountered by surfers and what good is a snorkel then anyway?!?!? :confused:

Just my 1.5cents worth:wink:

well, the snorkle is required to get the OW cert. After that, I never did wear one. Not even my instructor. All of my dives are boat dives so far, so I did net even bother to take it along the boat. After dive while waiting of the boat to arrive, I just fully inflate the BC and relax on my back. ( in this case, a Ranger will help very much) IF the dive are more of a shore dives, I sould take one.

Michael

All but 3 of my dives are from shore and I can tell you that I've never needed a snorkel, at least not w/ a back inflate or a BP/W.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom