Do you dive with a knife? How about a big knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trilobite and small titanium knife mounted on my BC in easy reach. The knife has a blunt tip. I actually used it once to aid me when returning from a shore dive. A pretty nasty storm had appeared from nowhere after we had begun a night dive. Water was blown up on the reef and our exit was also the logical exit for the water. I'd kick till I needed a break then put the knife into the sand and with my other hand used my fingers like claws hanging on till I was ready to go again. The knife worked way better than my "claws". I don't think the trilobite (or shears) would have "cut it":D

I carry two 4.5" knives with window breaker cut ends on them, EMT shears,wire dikes, and a seatbelt cutter when I go in for a rescue on a FD deployment. We dive in true blackout start to end, high entanglement, high flow areas, and have to get into vehicles for a rescue at times, I have a reason to carry what I do.

On a normal dive I carry a 3inch fixed blade and wire dikes. I hate wire fishing leaders....

NEVER put a knife on your leg. I spent 5 minutes, near the end of my tank, in 25 foot of water, learning how big an entanglement risk they are around your ankle with a trotline. Getting out of it in a 100% blackout.....not fun

I use the standard el cheapo $40 dive knife attatched to my right calf on the inside just below the knee. I hold it on with two of the standard rubber straps, and I connect the knife itself to the holster with fishing line which is just long enough for me to remove the knife if needed (never has been yet), but not long enough to get tangled. I lost my original knife and forked over another $40. That won't happen again. I know many advise not strapping it to the leg. I do anyway. If I am not wearing a wetsuit bottom and have bare legs, I stuff the knife way down in a BCD pocket as it tends to dig into the bare leg. This would make it difficult, but not impossible to remove, due to the 10 lb. weight pocket. However, in well over 300 dives I may have SEEN fishing line once or twice.

I take a steak knife and cut the tip off. They work great and I can't stab myself.

Round here we have lost a couple of free divers because of their big honkin' knife getting caught on the kelp. I am usually pretty quick to gently point out the knife should be on the inside of their leg not the outside. A few were like "thanks", but a couple were like "I know what I am doing and don't need anyone telling me anything". We will probably reading about them someday.

If I'm diving in the NE, I carry a BFK. It has blunt end and is really a pry bar with cutting edges. I love my knife. Also carry shears because of fishing line. For warm water trips, I carry a small knife. I'd rather have a knife on me and not use it than to need a knife and not have it.

I always have a small multi-tool attached to my belt when in terrestrial mode so I would feel really strange when sub-aquatic not having a tool.

I carry a small fixed blade, maybe 3 inches for the blade. It has a locking sheath and sits on my waist belt permanently.

Was diving on a wreck last week. DM leading the dive got snagged by some mono-filament. Easy to cut line with a knife. I was the only one of the three in our little group with a knife.

I can't imagine not having a cutting tool with me above or below the water.

Of course, I also have a diving BFK - but I mainly use it for splitting firewood in the bush - it was not bought for diving but for
batoning kindling. Maybe one day I will need more than a small line cutter.

MT

Small knife with 4" blade and a line cutter do fine for me.

Haven't carried a knife or cutting tool in the last 20 years or so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom